Waters' late field goal lifts Argonauts over Tiger-CatsSep 3, 2012 - 9:08 PM Toronto Argonauts to a 33-30 triumph over the Hamilton Tiger-Cats in their annual Labour Day clash on Monday afternoon at Ivor Wynne Stadium.
Toronto grabbed a 27-22 lead when Ahmad Carroll picked off a Henry Burris pass and took it 37 yards the other way for the major midway through the fourth.
Waters added a 26-yard field goal to extend the lead to eight, but Burris lead the Tiger-Cats down the field before finding Brandon Rutley for his first CFL touchdown. Burris then hit Dave Stala in the back of the end zone to tie the game with less than 2 1/2 minutes left.
Ricky Ray had the final say however, guiding the Argonauts into Hamilton territory before Waters drilled the go-ahead field goal.
"Our defense has played well all year," Ray said. "We just felt that if we could keep it close, we had a chance to come back."
Ray finished 32-of-45 for 375 yards and one touchdown, while Chad Owens hauled in 11 catches for 176 yards and a major for the Argonauts (1-0), who won for the first time in 16 tries when trailing at halftime.
Burris completed 13-of-30 passes for 218 yards, two touchdowns and a pair of interceptions for Hamilton (0-1), which has dropped its last three contests.
"We have to find a way to be more consistent," Burris admitted. "We have to be able to put touchdowns up there to win."
Chris Williams made CFL history, albeit in defeat, as he returned a punt 82 yards for his sixth major return of the season to set a new CFL single-season mark.
The Argonauts struck first as Ray withstood some heat in the pocket, staying upright just long enough to find Owens for a 40-yard touchdown pass.
Williams' record-breaking return got the Tiger-Cats on the board, but they botched the extra-point attempt, leaving them with a 7-6 deficit.
Waters nailed a 30-yard field goal early in the second, but Luca Congi responded with a 42-yarder of his own to restore a one-point margin.
The Hamilton offense got into the act late in the second stanza, as Burris found Onrea Jones for a 17-yard touchdown strike to put the Tiger-Cats up 16-10 with less than a minute left until halftime.
Waters had a 42-yard field goal attempt blocked in the closing seconds of the first half to send the Argonauts into the locker room facing a 16-10 deficit.
The Tiger-Cats settled for a 16-yard field goal from Congi to extend the lead to 19-10 early in the third before Waters missed a 32-yard field goal on Toronto's next possession and Hamilton conceded a single to bring the Argonauts within 19-11.
Williams nearly broke free for another punt return late in the third, but settled for a 63-yard return to set up a 40-yard field goal from Congi to extend the Hamilton lead to 22-11.
Hamilton conceded a safety early in the fourth to bring the Argonauts within 22-13 before Ray led his squad down the field and Chad Kackert capped a 6-play drive with a 1-yard major to cut the margin to 22-20.
These two teams with face off again on Saturday in Toronto ... Ray is the 6th different quarterback Hamilton has used in its last seven Labour Day games ... It was the last Labour Day game ever at Ivor Wynne Stadium ... Williams has five punt return touchdowns, which ties Henry Williams of the Edmonton Eskimos for the CFL record. His other return was on a missed field goal.
- TORONTO: 33
Sep 3 4:03 PM
- TORONTO: 33
End of Regulation
Sep 3 4:02 PM
- Toronto Field Goal - 34-yarder by Swayze Waters.
Argonauts 33, Tiger-Cats 30 4th - 0:26Sep 3 4:00 PM
- Henry Burris pass to Dave Stala for the two-point conversion.
Argonauts 30, Tiger-Cats 30 4th - 2:20Sep 3 3:56 PM
- Hamilton Touchdown - Henry Burris pass to Brandon Rutley for 10 yards.
Argonauts 30, Tiger-Cats 28 4th - 2:20Sep 3 3:56 PM
- Toronto Field Goal - 26-yarder by Swayze Waters.
Argonauts 30, Tiger-Cats 22 4th - 4:21Sep 3 3:46 PM
- Swayze Waters extra point is good.
Argonauts 27, Tiger-Cats 22 4th - 7:29Sep 3 3:35 PM
- Toronto Touchdown - Henry Burris pass intercepted by Ahmad Carroll at the Hamilton 37 and returned for 37 yards.
Argonauts 26, Tiger-Cats 22 4th - 7:29Sep 3 3:35 PM
- Swayze Waters extra point is good.
Argonauts 20, Tiger-Cats 22 4th - 9:01Sep 3 3:31 PM
- Toronto Touchdown - Chad Kackert rushed for 1 yard.
Argonauts 19, Tiger-Cats 22 4th - 9:01Sep 3 3:31 PM
- Toronto Safety - Josh Bartel concedes in the end zone.
Argonauts 13, Tiger-Cats 22 4th - 12:18Sep 3 3:25 PM
- TORONTO: 11
End of 3rd
Sep 3 3:15 PM
- Hamilton Field Goal - 40-yarder by Luca Congi.
Argonauts 11, Tiger-Cats 22 3rd - 0:35Sep 3 3:13 PM
- Toronto Single - 38-yarder by Swayze Waters.
Argonauts 11, Tiger-Cats 19 3rd - 8:14Sep 3 2:55 PM
- Hamilton Field Goal - 16-yarder by Luca Congi.
Argonauts 10, Tiger-Cats 19 3rd - 12:05Sep 3 2:47 PM
- TORONTO: 10
Sep 3 2:22 PM
- Luca Congi extra point is good.
Argonauts 10, Tiger-Cats 16 2nd - 0:44Sep 3 2:16 PM
- Hamilton Touchdown - Henry Burris pass to Onrea Jones for 17 yards.
Argonauts 10, Tiger-Cats 15 2nd - 0:44Sep 3 2:16 PM
- Hamilton Field Goal - 42-yarder by Luca Congi.
Argonauts 10, Tiger-Cats 9 2nd - 7:06Sep 3 2:00 PM
- Toronto Field Goal - 30-yarder by Swayze Waters.
Argonauts 10, Tiger-Cats 6 2nd - 10:15Sep 3 1:54 PM
- TORONTO: 7
End of 1st
Sep 3 1:40 PM
- Hamilton Touchdown - Swayze Waters punted 47 yards from the Toronto 35 to the Hamilton 28. Chris Williams returned for 82 yards.
Argonauts 7, Tiger-Cats 6 1st - 5:51Sep 3 1:26 PM
- TORONTO: 7
1st Quarter - 9:59
Argonauts 7, Tiger-Cats 0 1st - 9:59Sep 3 1:18 PM
- Toronto Touchdown - Ricky Ray pass to Chad Owens for 40 yards.
Argonauts 6, Tiger-Cats 0 1st - 10:05Sep 3 1:16 PM
- TORONTO: 0
1st Quarter - 15:00
Sep 3 1:08 PM
- Bombers tangle with Tiger-Cats Jul 1
- Argos and Riders square off in Week 2 action Jul 1
- Argos cruise to season-opening win behind Harris Jun 27
- Paredes lifts Stamps past Tiger-Cats in Grey Cup rematch Jun 27
- Eskimos and Argonauts square off in season opener Jun 24
- Hamilton and Calgary meet in Grey Cup rematch Jun 24
- Argonauts sign RB Scott Mar 3
- Tiger-Cats re-sign RB Grigsby Feb 24
- Tiger-Cats re-sign Brandon Banks Feb 5
- Tiger-Cats re-sign WR Tasker Jan 29
- CFL's Stampeders win 7th Grey Cup title Nov 30
- Hamilton and Calgary meet in 102nd Grey Cup Nov 26