for this game

Tiger-Cats' late rally falls short

Oct 21, 2012 - 3:06 AM Calgary, AB (Sports Network) - A mishandled snap on a potential game-winning field goal cost the Hamilton Tiger-Cats in a 34-32 loss to the Calgary Stampeders in a showdown in snowy conditions at McMahon Stadium.

Jon Cornish caught seven passes for 108 yards and a touchdown and also had a team-high 27 yards rushing and one score for Calgary (10-6). Kevin Glenn completed 22-of-34 pass attempts for 283 yards and two scores but was intercepted four times.

The win secures second place in the West Division and home-field advantage in the first round of the CFL playoffs for Calgary.

In his return to Calgary after he was traded to Hamilton (5-11) in the off season, Henry Burris threw for 354 yards and two scores on 24-of-33 passing while also throwing a pair of interceptions. Chris Williams caught seven passes for 122 yards and a touchdown. Avon Cobourne had a team-high 68 yards on the ground while Chevon Walker had 63 yards and a score.

Hamilton is now in a last-place tie with Winnipeg in the East Division but can still clinch a playoff berth as the Tiger-Cats trail Toronto by two games in the standings.

Burris connected with Bakari Grant for a 51-yard touchdown pass on the Tiger-Cats first offensive play as Hamilton took a 7-0 lead early.

That lead stretched to 10-0 when Luca Congi connected on a 27-yard field goal midway through the first quarter.

Keon Raymond returned an interception from Burris 100 yards for a touchdown to cut into Hamilton's lead.

Hamilton punter Josh Bartel scored a single later in the quarter putting the score at 11-7.

Calgary got its first lead of the game when Glenn threw a seven-yard touchdown pass to Cornish.

The Tiger-Cats would pull to within a point with a safety with a little more than three minutes before the half.

At the start of the second half Hamilton regained the lead on a 44-yard field goal from Congi.

The Stampeders responded with a 56-yard touchdown pass from Glenn to Maurice Price.

Cornish added a seven-yard rushing touchdown on the Stampeders' next possession to push Calgary to a 27-16 lead.

Burris then led a fourth-quarter rally for the Tiger-Cats beginning with a 30-yard touchdown pass to Williams. After a successful two-point conversion Hamilton trailed by just three points.

That deficit shrank to just one when Hamilton recorded a safety on Calgary midway through the fourth quarter.

A one-yard rushing touchdown by Bo Levi Mitchell with a little less than three minutes left seemed to put the game away for Calgary.

However with a one-yard touchdown run by Walker with just over a minute remaining the Tiger-Cats had a chance to tie the game but Burris threw an incomplete pass on the two-point attempt.

On the ensuing kickoff Onrea Jones leapt in the air and recovered an onside kick for Hamilton.

Burris completed a 39-yard pass to Williams on the first play of the ensuing drive to set the Tiger-Cats well within scoring distance. After a pair of Walker runs netted just two yards the Tiger-Cats set up for a field goal. However the ball was mishandled on the attempt by Fantuz who was tackled in the backfield to end the game.

Game Notes

Williams touchdown reception in the fourth quarter was his 14th of the season which is second in the CFL...Hamilton surrendered six sacks in the game while recording only two...Calgary was guilty of seven turnovers...Raymond tied for a game-high with eight tackles and two sacks for Calgary.