for this game

Glenn leads Calgary past Toronto

Aug 24, 2013 - 6:59 AM Toronto, ON (Sports Network) - Kevin Glenn tossed a pair of touchdowns and the Calgary Stampeders took advantage of a Ricky Ray-less Toronto Argos team to capture a 35-14 win in a rematch of last year's Grey Cup.

Both of Glenn's touchdown passes occurred in the second quarter, with his last giving Calgary (6-2) the lead for good. He ended 14-of-20 for 228 yards while sitting out most of the fourth quarter with a head injury.

Toronto (5-3), which defeated Calgary in last year's Grey Cup, had its six- game winning streak over the Stampeders snapped while losing starting signal caller Ray in the process.

With Ray leaving the game for good after injuring his shoulder on Toronto's second series, the team struggled to move the football. In relief, Zach Collaros threw for 221 yards and an interception on 16-of-26 efficiency.

A quick touchdown before halftime gave the Stampeders a 21-14 advantage, and the score stayed that way through a third quarter defensive grind.

Calgary picked up a point on Rene Paredes' miss from 35 yards out, then forced a turnover on the ensuing possession. Chad Owens made a 37-yard catch, but fumbled and Jonathan Hefney recovered for the Stampeders. Three plays later, Bo Levi Mitchell took over for an injured Glenn to score on an 11-yard scamper and give Calgary a commanding 29-14 lead.

Paredes added 21 and 42-yard kicks down the stretch to ice the victory.

Toronto capitalized after recovering a Marquay McDaniel fumble on the first play of the game, with Ray's 19-yard touchdown pass to Jason Barnes highlighting a 5-for-5 drive and handing the Argos an early 7-0 lead.

After Ray went down with the shoulder injury, the Argos conceded a safety on the next play and then another of their following possession. Calgary drew even at 7-7 early in the second quarter on Paredes' 10-yard field goal.

The Stampeders went in front on their next touch, as Glenn and McDaniel hooked up for a 20-yard score with 7:10 left in the half.

Collaros didn't have much success off the bench for Toronto, but completed a 39-yard pass to Barnes to begin his third drive and eventually Curtis Steele scored on 2-yard rush to tie the game at 14-14.

Calgary got the ball back with 1:52 left in the half and reached the end zone 36 seconds later on Glenn's 30-yard strike to Tim Hawthorne, putting the team ahead going into the break.

Game Notes

Calgary was without running back Jon Cornish because of a thigh contusion. Wide receiver Nik Lewis also sat and may miss the rest of the season after having surgery on a broken fibula he suffered last week ... McDaniel had seven catches for 106 yards ... Toronto had a four-game win streak stopped ... The Argos were held under 35 points for the first time in five games.