for this game

Winnipeg edges Calgary at snowy McMahon

Nov 2, 2014 - 12:19 AM Calgary, AB ( - Lirim Hajrullahu booted three fourth-quarter field goals as the Winnipeg Blue Bombers overcame the odds and the elements to defeat the Calgary Stampeders, 18-13, Saturday afternoon at snowy McMahon Stadium.

Robert Marve entered the game for Drew Willy under center and completed a third-quarter touchdown to Clarence Denmark, which gave the Blue Bombers (7-11) their ultimate lead. The win snapped an eight-game losing skid for Winnipeg, which ends its season as the only West Division team to miss the playoffs.

Marve finished the game completing 6-of-12 pass attempts for 76 yards and a touchdown, while Willy ended his night 4-of-10 passing for 22 yards. Paris Cotton carried the ball 17 times for 71 yards, and Denmark caught a team-best three passes for 58 yards with the score.

Bo Levi Mitchell threw a first-quarter touchdown pass to Rob Cote, and Rene Paredes connected on a 27-yard field goal as Calgary (14-3) took a lead into halftime. But the Stampeders gave the game away in the second half at home, snapping the team's four-game win streak.

Mitchell completed 13-of-22 passing for 138 yards and a touchdown, but also lost a fumble in the defeat. Jon Cornish carried the ball 12 times for 105 yards, but was pulled from the game in the second quarter after hitting his head on the turf. He was checked for a concussion and did not return. In his place, Matt Walter carried the ball 11 times for 109 yards.

Calgary came out hot to start the game, as Mitchell found Cote on a 10-yard touchdown connection on the game's first offensive possession. The Stamps led Winnipeg, 7-0, before Hajrullahu booted through a 21-yard field goal toward the end of the first quarter.

The Stampeders went into the locker room up 10-3 after Paredes connected on a 27-yard second-quarter field goal attempt.

Marve found Denmark for a three-yard touchdown two plays after a Calgary turnover. The major put the Blue Bombers down a single point, but a Calgary single midway through the third quarter put the Stamps up 11-9 headed into the final period.

Hajrullahu went to work in the final quarter, connecting on three consecutive field goals - from 10, 30 and 18 yards out - to give the Bombers an 18-11 advantage headed into the final minutes.

With 11 seconds left to play, Winnipeg's Hajrullahu conceded a safety instead of attempting a punt, which cut the Bombers' lead to 18-13. On the game's final play, Mitchell connected with Maurice Price in the middle of the field. Price was leveled by Winnipeg, and the clock ran out on the Stampeders.

Winnipeg's season ends with the Bombers on the outside of the playoffs looking in, while Calgary gets set for one more regular season matchup before the Stamps embark on their playoff journey.