Denorfia's 8th-inning HR sends Padres over D-BacksApr 12, 2012 - 5:55 AM
Ernesto Frieri (1-0) posted 1 1/3 innings of scoreless relief and Huston Street followed suit in the ninth for his first save of the season for the Padres, who dropped an extra-inning decision in the opener on Tuesday.
Starter Cory Luebke left after 5 1/3 frames, charged with four hits and a run while walking four and fanning five.
"We showed some resiliency today from the offense," said Luebke. "But we were able to get the hits when we needed them and it was enough for the win."
Jason Kubel's bases-loaded walk in the first was the lone offense for the D- Backs, who had won four in a row to begin the year.
David Hernandez (0-1) took the loss and the blown save after serving up the deciding homer. Joe Saunders allowed four hits and two walks with four strikeouts over his seven-inning outing.
"In a game like that you have to shut them down," said Saunders. "We had the lead and I was just trying to throw up zeroes and give the bullpen a chance to hold it."
Hernandez walked Cameron Maybin with one out, and paid for his mistake when Denorfia followed with the go-ahead blast to center. Arizona center fielder Chris Young made a leaping attempt at the ball, but lost his glove instead.
Street locked down the victory by retiring the side in order.
Arizona picked up a run in the first thanks to Luebke's control issues. Willie Bloomquist worked a walk to leadoff the inning, stole second and moved to third on Nick Hundley's wild throw. Justin Upton walked, and after Miguel Montero fanned, Young drew a base on balls before Kubel walked to force in Bloomquist.
The D-Backs stranded two runners in the third, then the Padres left two on in the fourth. Arizona then wasted a two-on, two-out situation in the sixth when Saunders grounded out, and Kubel killed a bases-loaded two-out opportunity by popping out in the seventh.
Coming into Wednesday, Arizona had won 11 of its last 15 contests against San Diego...Bloomquist extended his hit streak to 11 games as he went 2-for-4.
- ARIZONA: 1
SAN DIEGO: 2
Apr 11 9:35 PM
- Chris Denorfia one-out, two-run Home Run (1) to center scored Cameron Maybin. Chase Headley due up.
Diamondbacks 1, Padres 2 Bot 8, 1 OutApr 11 9:25 PM
- Jason Kubel walk scored Willie Bloomquist on the play. Bases loaded with two outs and Paul Goldschmidt due up.
Diamondbacks 1, Padres 0 Top 1, 2 OutsApr 11 6:54 PM
- ARIZONA: 0
SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 11 6:36 PM
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21