Helton knocks in game-winner for RockiesApr 14, 2012 - 7:31 AM
Helton finished 3-for-5 with three runs batted in, Ramon Hernandez blasted a solo home run, part of a three-RBI effort, and Dexter Fowler got the Rockies' offense going with a solo shot in the first.
"I'm seeing the ball well, and even when I'm getting off bad swings I feel like I'm in a fairly good position to swing the bat, so that's all you can ask for," Helton said.
Rex Brothers (1-1) pitched a scoreless eighth inning to record the win and Rafael Betancourt picked up his second save of the year.
Bryan Shaw (0-1) suffered the loss by allowing an unearned run, thanks in part to first baseman Paul Goldschmidt, who failed to corral a pickoff throw, accounting for a two-base error. Miguel Montero hit a two-run home run in a losing effort.
"It doesn't work out sometimes. It wasn't a very fun game to be a part of," said Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson. "You could just tell it was going to be an extended game and we were unable to do the job."
Neither starter factored into the decision. Diamondbacks starter Daniel Hudson was tagged for six runs on 10 hits and three walks over 3 2/3 innings, while Colorado's Juan Nicasio also gave up six runs, on five hits and five walks in 2 2/3 frames.
After Goldschmidt plated two runs with a bases-loaded single in the top of the first, Fowler got one back in the home half by smacking Hudson's 2-2 pitch into the right field seats for his first homer of the season.
Hernandez followed an inning later with his first, this time to left field, to tie it at 2-2.
Arizona responded with a four-run third. After Justin Upton reached on a bunt single, Montero launched one to right. Chris Young went first-to-third on a Goldschmidt single before Geoff Blum drove him in with a sacrifice fly, and Ryan Roberts capped off the rally, scoring Goldschmidt on a double.
But the Rockies scored a pair in the home half on Hernandez's double and tied it the fourth. Carlos Gonzalez and Troy Tulowitzki hit back-to-back singles. They advanced on Hudson's wild pitch and scored when Helton laced a base hit past Goldschmidt.
Several innings then passed before Helton's decisive opposite-field double down the left-field line.
The probables for Saturday's second game are Jhoulys Chacin (0-1) for Colorado against Arizona's Josh Collmenter (0-0).
- ARIZONA: 6
Apr 14 12:21 AM
- Todd Helton double to left scored Carlos Gonzalez. Runner on second with two outs and Michael Cuddyer due up.
Diamondbacks 6, Rockies 7 Bot 8, 2 OutsApr 14 12:06 AM
- Todd Helton single to left scored Carlos Gonzalez and Troy Tulowitzki. Runner on first with two outs and Michael Cuddyer due up.
Diamondbacks 6, Rockies 6 Bot 4, 2 OutsApr 13 10:44 PM
- Ramon Hernandez double to right scored Troy Tulowitzki and Michael Cuddyer. Runner on second with two outs and Chris Nelson due up.
Diamondbacks 6, Rockies 4 Bot 3, 2 OutsApr 13 10:13 PM
- Ryan Roberts double to right scored Paul Goldschmidt. Runner on second with two outs and Daniel Hudson due up.
Diamondbacks 6, Rockies 2 Top 3, 2 OutsApr 13 9:50 PM
- Geoff Blum sacrifice fly to right scored Chris Young. Runner on first with two outs and Ryan Roberts due up.
Diamondbacks 5, Rockies 2 Top 3, 2 OutsApr 13 9:47 PM
- Miguel Montero one-out, two-run Home Run (1) to right scored Justin Upton. Chris Young due up.
Diamondbacks 4, Rockies 2 Top 3, 1 OutApr 13 9:42 PM
- Ramon Hernandez lead-off Home Run (1) to left. Chris Nelson due up.
Diamondbacks 2, Rockies 2 Bot 2, 0 OutsApr 13 9:26 PM
- Dexter Fowler one-out, solo Home Run (1) to right. Carlos Gonzalez due up.
Diamondbacks 2, Rockies 1 Bot 1, 1 OutApr 13 9:09 PM
- Paul Goldschmidt single to center scored Justin Upton and Miguel Montero. On the play, Chris Young advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Geoff Blum due up.
Diamondbacks 2, Rockies 0 Top 1, 2 OutsApr 13 9:01 PM
- ARIZONA: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 13 8:41 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Adames' first homer caps 4-run 9th as Rockies win 4-1 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21
- Pirates 3B Kang exits with left hand injury after slide May 21