Cahill shines as D-Backs top RockiesApr 16, 2012 - 2:17 AM
"[Cahill] had it working it very well," said Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson. "If he, as I expect him to, improve on his control, it will be very good for us."
Cahill (1-0) walked two and Bryan Shaw pitched 1 1/3 perfect innings to record his second save of the season. Chris Young hit a two-run homer and finished with three RBI in the win.
Drew Pomeranz (0-1) suffered the loss after being charged with five runs on nine hits and two walks in just 4 1/3 innings.
"I threw a lot of balls down the middle," Pomeranz said. "I missed over the middle of the plate to a good fastball-hitting team, and that's what happens."
Arizona got off to an early start. With Justin Upton aboard in the first, Young fought off several pitches before clubbing Pomeranz's eighth offering into the left-center field seats. Young plated another two innings later, smacking a single left to score Gerardo Parra.
The D-Backs threatened again in the fifth, when Pomeranz loaded the bases with no outs. He got Paul Goldschmidt to strike out looking, but Aaron Hill roped a two-run liner to left that ended Pomeranz's afternoon.
Colorado got on the board in the eighth on a bases-loaded RBI groundout by Tyler Colvin and an infield single by Troy Tulowitzki, but Shaw came in with the bases again loaded a bit later and got Ramon Hernandez to ground out to end the threat.
Young's home run was the 122nd of his career, moving him into sole possession of third place on Arizona's all-time list...The D-backs have led in every game they've played this year...Arizona stole four bases, including two swipes by Parra.
- ARIZONA: 5
Apr 15 6:32 PM
- Troy Tulowitzki single to short scored Dexter Fowler. On the play, Tyler Colvin advances to second. Runners on first and second with two out and Jason Giambi due up.
Diamondbacks 5, Rockies 2 Bot 8, 2 OutsApr 15 6:04 PM
- Tyler Colvin grounded into a fielder's choice, short to second scored Jonathan Herrera. Eric Young Jr. out at second. Dexter Fowler advances to third. Runners on first and third with two out and Troy Tulowitzki due up.
Diamondbacks 5, Rockies 1 Bot 8, 2 OutsApr 15 5:57 PM
- Aaron Hill single to left scored Gerardo Parra and Justin Upton. On the play, Chris Young advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and John McDonald due up.
Diamondbacks 5, Rockies 0 Top 5, 1 OutApr 15 4:49 PM
- Chris Young single to left scored Gerardo Parra. Runner on first with two out and Paul Goldschmidt due up.
Diamondbacks 3, Rockies 0 Top 3, 2 OutsApr 15 3:56 PM
- Chris Young two-out, two-run Home Run (4) to left scored Justin Upton. Paul Goldschmidt due up.
Diamondbacks 2, Rockies 0 Top 1, 2 OutsApr 15 3:24 PM
- ARIZONA: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 15 3:13 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Adames' first homer caps 4-run 9th as Rockies win 4-1 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21
- Pirates 3B Kang exits with left hand injury after slide May 21