Young, Saunders help D-Backs top PiratesApr 17, 2012 - 5:44 AM
Saunders (1-0) scattered six hits and struck out five, Young finished with three hits and Aaron Hill and Gerardo Parra each added a solo shot to give Arizona it's second consecutive victory.
"One of the things we talked about was being ready from the very first pitch," said Arizona head coach Kirk Gibson. "These guys are great. Compared to where we were at last year, these guys are light years ahead. They get it. They get how we want to go about it."
Erik Bedard (0-3) surrendered two runs on three hits and four walks in a five- inning start while Neil Walker knocked in the Pirates only run as they fell for the sixth time in seven tries.
"I just didn't throw strikes," remarked Bedard after the loss. "I tried to limit the damage and keep the team in the game."
Pittsburgh used three consecutive singles with two outs to score in the top of the first as Andrew McCutchen, Casey McGehee and Walker each singled, with Walker's scoring McCutchen to give the Pirates a 1-0 lead.
Arizona responded in the bottom half as Hill belted an 0-1 fastball over the left-field wall, knotting the game at 1-1.
Bedard got the first two hitters out in the fourth but issued consecutive walks to Paul Goldschmidt and Jason Kubel before Ryan Roberts hit a flare to right field, plating Goldschmidt for the 2-1 lead.
It was 4-1 in the sixth after Miguel Montero opened the bottom half of the frame with a single to center and Young followed with a two-run blast to left field for his fifth homer of the year.
Arizona tacked on another run in the seventh, as Parra entered as a pinch- hitter and belted the first pitch he saw into the pool in left-center field.
These two clubs split six meetings last season, with Arizona taking two of three at home...Arizona left six men on base and finished 1-for-4 with runners in scoring position. The Pirates stranded seven baserunners and went 2-for-4 with RISP...Tuesday's matchup features two right-handed hurlers as Jeff Karstens takes the bump for the Pirates against Ian Kennedy.
- PITTSBURGH: 1
Apr 17 12:22 AM
- Pinch-Hitter Gerardo Parra lead-off Home Run (1) to right center. Willie Bloomquist due up.
Pirates 1, Diamondbacks 5 Bot 7, 0 OutsApr 16 11:43 PM
- Chris Young none-out, two-run Home Run (5) to left scored Miguel Montero. Paul Goldschmidt due up.
Pirates 1, Diamondbacks 4 Bot 6, 0 OutsApr 16 11:28 PM
- Ryan Roberts singled to right scoring Paul Goldschmidt with two out. On the play, Jason Kubel advances to third. Runners on first and third and Joe Saunders due up.
Pirates 1, Diamondbacks 2 Bot 4, 2 OutsApr 16 10:58 PM
- Justin Upton lined out to center. None on with two outs and Miguel Montero due up.
Pirates 1, Diamondbacks 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsApr 16 9:58 PM
- Neil Walker singled to center scoring Andrew McCutchen with two out. On the play, Casey McGehee advances to second. Runners on first and second and Rod Barajas due up.
Pirates 1, Diamondbacks 0 Top 1, 2 OutsApr 16 9:48 PM
- PITTSBURGH: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 16 9:40 PM
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Adames' first homer caps 4-run 9th as Rockies win 4-1 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21
- Cardinals blast 3 homers, Leake shuts down Diamondbacks 6-2 May 21
- Pirates 3B Kang exits with left hand injury after slide May 21