McCutchen pushes Pirates past D'BacksApr 18, 2012 - 6:11 AM
McCutchen ended his night with four hits and two runs scored, Garrett Jones went 3-for-4 with a home run and Neil Walker added three hits and an RBI for the Bucs, who had lost six of seven coming in.
Jason Grilli (1-1) gave up a solo home run in the eighth, but picked up the win after Juan Cruz worked a perfect ninth to earn his first save of the season.
"When unexpected things happen, that's when you find out what kind of ballclub you are," McCutchen said. "The bullpen stepped up and did its job."
Willie Bloomquist, John McDonald, Jason Kubel and Chris Young all drove in runs for the Diamondbacks, who have dropped three of their last five.
Arizona was also dealt a blow to its outfield when Young crashed into the center field wall in the fourth inning and left the game. He will have an MRI and be evaluated further on Wednesday.
Bryan Shaw (0-2) was tagged with the loss after giving up three hits in the ninth, including McCutchen's game-winner.
Pittsburgh struck first with a run in the top of the first as McCutchen ripped a two-out single up the middle and Walker followed with a single. Jones then smacked a single to bring home McCutchen and give the Pirates the early lead.
The D-Backs answered right back with a pair of runs in the home half of the first. Young ripped a line drive double to left and scored on a single by Miguel Montero to tie the game at one, and Kubel then smashed a double to deep center to bring home Montero.
Aaron Hill worked a one-out walk in the Arizona second and stole second base before coming around to score on a double to deep right field by Bloomquist to extend the D-Backs lead to 3-1.
The Bucs answered with a pair of runs in the third when McCutchen slapped a two-out single and moved to second on a balk. Walker then brought home McCutchen with a single up the middle, and Jones followed with a double to score Walker.
Jones led off the Pirates sixth with a monster shot over the right field wall to give Pittsburgh a 4-3 edge, but John McDonald answered with a solo homer in the eighth to tie it at four for Arizona.
"I don't think he was able to throw his pitches where he wanted to tonight," Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson said. "It was a bit of a struggle for him."
Diamondbacks starter Ian Kennedy gave up four runs on eight hits and no walks while striking out five in six innings, while Pirates starter Jeff Karstens left the game after giving up two runs on three hits in just one inning of work... Arizona has scored 16 runs in the first inning of games this season while allowing just four...Diamondbacks' outfielder Justin Upton missed the game due to a jammed thumb...Pittsburgh's 3-4-5 hitters went a combined 10- for-14 with five RBI.
- PITTSBURGH: 5
Apr 18 12:42 AM
- Andrew McCutchen single to left scored Alex Presley with two outs. On the play, Casey McGehee advances to second. Runners on first and second and Neil Walker due up.
Pirates 5, Diamondbacks 4 Top 9, 2 OutsApr 18 12:32 AM
- John McDonald one-out, solo Home Run (1) to left. Miguel Montero due up.
Pirates 4, Diamondbacks 4 Bot 8, 1 OutApr 18 12:14 AM
- Garrett Jones lead-off Home Run (2) to right. Rod Barajas due up.
Pirates 4, Diamondbacks 3 Top 6, 0 OutsApr 17 11:29 PM
- Garrett Jones double to left scored Neil Walker with two outs. Runner on second and Rod Barajas due up.
Pirates 3, Diamondbacks 3 Top 3, 2 OutsApr 17 10:34 PM
- Neil Walker single to center scored Andrew McCutchen with two outs/ Runner on first and Garrett Jones due up.
Pirates 2, Diamondbacks 3 Top 3, 2 OutsApr 17 10:33 PM
- Willie Bloomquist double to right scored Aaron Hill with two outs. Runner on second and Gerardo Parra due up.
Pirates 1, Diamondbacks 3 Bot 2, 2 OutsApr 17 10:18 PM
- Jason Kubel double to center scored Miguel Montero with two outs. Runner on second and Ryan Roberts due up.
Pirates 1, Diamondbacks 2 Bot 1, 2 OutsApr 17 9:59 PM
- Miguel Montero single to left scored Chris Young with two outs. Runner on first and Jason Kubel due up.
Pirates 1, Diamondbacks 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsApr 17 9:57 PM
- Rod Barajas flied out to right to end the inning.
Pirates 1, Diamondbacks 0 Mid 1Apr 17 9:47 PM
- PITTSBURGH: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 17 9:40 PM
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Adames' first homer caps 4-run 9th as Rockies win 4-1 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21
- Cardinals blast 3 homers, Leake shuts down Diamondbacks 6-2 May 21
- Pirates 3B Kang exits with left hand injury after slide May 21