Saunders, D-Backs blank MarlinsApr 28, 2012 - 5:47 AM
Saunders (2-1) allowed just three hits and two walks while striking out four and also knocked in a run for Arizona, which snapped a two-game slide.
Miguel Montero had two hits and three RBI in the win.
"You always want to go out there and get the road trip off to a good start," said Saunders, whose team kicked off a 10-game trek that also includes games against the Nationals and Mets.
Carlos Zambrano (0-2) gave up three runs on 10 hits and two walks in the Marlins' sixth straight loss.
Arizona took the early advantage in the first inning after Justin Upton was hit by a pitch with two outs. Jason Kubel followed with a bloop single to shallow left field before Montero laced a base hit to center to bring home Upton. Kubel, though, was tagged out in a rundown between second and third on the play to end the frame.
The Diamondbacks then added to their lead in the second when they loaded the bases on Aaron Hill's leadoff single and consecutive walks by Lyle Overbay and Ryan Roberts.
Saunders then lifted a sacrifice fly to right filed to plate Hill, but after Willie Bloomquist singled to fill the bags again, Gerardo Parra went down swinging and Upton flied out to center to keep it a 2-0 game.
Hill's leadoff home run over the left-field wall in the sixth inning gave Arizona a three-run cushion.
Montero laced a two-run double into the left-center field gap in the ninth inning to finalize the scoring as Saunders did not allow a runner to advance past first base through the entire game.
"If they score two runs then we're down by 20. That's the way we feel right now," Marlins manager Ozzie Guillen said about his team, which has scored two runs or less in its last six games.
Kubel extended his hit streak to nine games and has now reached base safely in 14 straight contests...It was Saunders' seventh complete game and has first shutout since May 14, 2010...Miami grounded into three double plays....Hill has reached base safely in 15 straight games.
- ARIZONA: 5
Apr 27 10:08 PM
- Miguel Montero doubled to left scoring Gerardo Parra and Jason Kubel with one out. Runner on second and Aaron Hill due up.
Diamondbacks 5, Marlins 0 Top 9, 1 OutApr 27 9:53 PM
- Aaron Hill lead-off Home Run (4) to left. Lyle Overbay due up.
Diamondbacks 3, Marlins 0 Top 6, 0 OutsApr 27 8:36 PM
- Joe Saunders sacrifice fly to right scored Aaron Hill with one out. Runners on first and second with Willie Bloomquist due up.
Diamondbacks 2, Marlins 0 Top 2, 1 OutApr 27 7:41 PM
- Miguel Montero singled to center scoring Justin Upton with two out. On the play, Jason Kubel out at third to end the inning.
Diamondbacks 1, Marlins 0 Mid 1Apr 27 7:25 PM
- ARIZONA: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 27 7:12 PM
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Nationals-Marlins Preview May 22
- Nats' 9th-inning rally comes up short in 3-2 loss at Miami May 21
- Jose Fernandez pitches Marlins past Nationals 3-2 May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21