Ramirez rips walk-off as Marlins down DiamondbacksApr 29, 2012 - 4:39 AM
Jose Reyes began the comeback with a run-scoring base hit in the seventh and Giancarlo Stanton came off the bench and scored the winning run for the Marlins, who snapped a six-game losing streak by taking the second contest in a four-game wraparound set.
Steve Cishek (2-0) got the win with a perfect top of the ninth, while Brad Ziegler (0-1) logged his first loss of the year.
"The last one I just missed my spot," admitted Ziegler. "I just didn't locate the one pitch."
Miguel Montero and Gerardo Parra drove in a run apiece for the Diamondbacks, who have lost three of four.
Stanton singled with one out in the nine and moved to second on Emilio Bonifacio's groundout. Ziegler then intentionally walked Reyes to get to Ramirez, who took his 1-2 sinker into left field.
"It pumped me up," said Ramirez about Arizona intentionally walking Reyes to get to him. "I just told myself, shorten your swing up and stay through the middle."
Down 2-0, Omar Infante led off the seventh with a triple, and after Bonifacio struck out, Reyes lined Arizona starter Ian Kennedy's first offering to right to get Miami on the board.
Morrison -- who went down hard after being hit by a pitch earlier in the game -- welcomed reliever David Hernandez to the mound with a towering game-tying home run to lead off the eighth.
A pair of doubles by Willie Bloomquist and Parra to open the game got Arizona on the board, and after two straight strikeouts, Montero singled home Parra for the early 2-0 edge.
Arizona's Aaron Hill has reached base safely in 16 straight games...Marlins starter Anibal Sanchez set a career-high with 14 strikeouts in seven innings...Kennedy allowed one run on seven hits and three walks with five strikeouts in 6 1/3 innings.
- ARIZONA: 2
Apr 28 10:03 PM
- Hanley Ramirez Walk-Off singled to left scoring Giancarlo Stanton. On the play, Jose Reyes advances to second to end the game.
Diamondbacks 2, Marlins 3 Bot 9, 2 OutsApr 28 10:03 PM
- Logan Morrison lead-off Home Run (2) to right. Gaby Sanchez due up.
Diamondbacks 2, Marlins 2 Bot 8, 0 OutsApr 28 9:39 PM
- Jose Reyes singled to right scored Omar Infante. Runner on first with one out and Hanley Ramirez due up.
Diamondbacks 2, Marlins 1 Bot 7, 1 OutApr 28 9:13 PM
- Miguel Montero singled to center scored Gerardo Parra. Runner on first with two outs and Paul Goldschmidt due up.
Diamondbacks 2, Marlins 0 Top 1, 2 OutsApr 28 7:18 PM
- Justin Upton struck out swinging. Runner on second with one out and Jason Kubel due up.
Diamondbacks 1, Marlins 0 Top 1, 1 OutApr 28 7:14 PM
- ARIZONA: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 28 7:11 PM
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Nationals-Marlins Preview May 22
- Nats' 9th-inning rally comes up short in 3-2 loss at Miami May 21
- Jose Fernandez pitches Marlins past Nationals 3-2 May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21