Diamondbacks halt Dodgers' win streak at 5May 16, 2012 - 5:49 AM Los Angeles, CA (Sports Network) - Miguel Montero and Jason Kubel each had two hits, an RBI and a run scored as the Arizona Diamondbacks defeated the Los Angeles Dodgers, 5-1, in the finale of a quick two-game series.
Wade Miley (4-1) allowed one run on eight hits and a walk while striking out five through 6 2/3 innings to earn the win for Arizona, which snapped its three-game slide.
"We put some runs on the board and kept them at bay, so it was a good win," said Miley. "I was able to command the fastball, get ahead and work off of that."
Chad Billingsley (2-3) gave up four runs on eight hits and two walks in four- plus innings to suffer the loss.
Mark Ellis homered for the Dodgers, who saw their five-game win streak come to an end.
Arizona was able to score the game's first run in the second inning thanks to a wild pitch by Billingsley.
Kubel led off the frame with a double to left and after Ryan Roberts struck out and Lyle Overbay grounded out, Aaron Hill was intentionally walked.
Miley stepped up next and struck out on four pitches for what would have been the final out of the inning, but Billingsley's slider in the dirt bounced past A.J. Ellis, allowing Miley to reach first and load the bases. Gerardo Parra then worked a walk to bring home Kubel before a Willie Bloomquist flyout to center limited the damage.
After Los Angeles stranded the tying run on third in the third inning, the Diamondbacks extended their lead in the fifth when they started the inning with five straight singles, allowing Miley and Parra to cross the plate.
Billingsley was then replaced by Javy Guerra on the mound, but Kubel greeted the reliever with another base hit to score Bloomquist.
That would be the only run Guerra would allow, though, as Roberts followed with a grounder to third that Justin Sellers threw home for the force to start a 5-2-3 double play. Overbay was then intentionally walked to fill the bags again before Hill's groundout kept it a 4-0 game.
"Singles found the holes. Last time out I beat myself with walks so I wanted to be more aggressive," Billingsley said. "That's just the way the way it goes. You can't do anything about it."
The Dodgers got on the board in the sixth on Mark Ellis' solo home run to straightaway center field, but Arizona answered in the seventh with an Overbay sacrifice fly.
Los Angeles threatened to cut into its deficit again in the seventh when Justin Sellers walked and Tony Gwynn Jr. singled to place runners on first and second.
But Bryan Shaw replaced Miley after a Dee Gordon flyout and induced a flyout to center field by Mark Ellis to end the inning.
David Hernandez and J.J. Putz each followed with a scoreless inning of relief to seal the win for Arizona.
Los Angeles completed an eight-game homestand with a 6-2 record...Arizona improved to 1-1 on a seven-game road trip...A.J. Ellis has now reached base safely in 25 straight games...The Dodgers went 0-for-5 with runners in scoring position and left nine men on base.
- ARIZONA: 5
LOS ANGELES: 1
May 16 1:11 AM
- Lyle Overbay sacrifice fly out to left scored Miguel Montero. Runners on first and second and with one out and Aaron Hill due up.
Diamondbacks 5, Dodgers 1 Top 7, 1 OutMay 16 12:14 AM
- Mark Ellis one-out, solo Home Run (2) to center. Scott Van Slyke due up.
Diamondbacks 4, Dodgers 1 Bot 6, 1 OutMay 15 11:59 PM
- Jason Kubel singled to right scored Willie Bloomquist. On the play, Miguel Montero advances to second and Justin Upton advances to third. Bases loaded with none out and Ryan Roberts due up.
Diamondbacks 4, Dodgers 0 Top 5, 0 OutsMay 15 11:36 PM
- Miguel Montero singled to center scored Gerardo Parra. On the play, Justin Upton advances to second and Willie Bloomquist advances to third. Bases loaded with none out and Jason Kubel due up.
Diamondbacks 3, Dodgers 0 Top 5, 0 OutsMay 15 11:32 PM
- Justin Upton singled to short scored Wade Miley. On the play, Willie Bloomquist advances to second and Gerardo Parra advances to third. Bases loaded with none out and Miguel Montero due up.
Diamondbacks 2, Dodgers 0 Top 5, 0 OutsMay 15 11:29 PM
- Gerardo Parra walked Jason Kubel scored on the play. Bases loaded with two outs and Willie Bloomquist due up.
Diamondbacks 1, Dodgers 0 Top 2, 2 OutsMay 15 10:39 PM
- ARIZONA: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 15 10:10 PM
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21