Diamondbacks rough up Greinke, BrewersMay 27, 2012 - 5:42 AM
The teams combined for nine runs in the third, but Arizona held on in the late innings to even this three-game series.
Gerardo Parra tied a career-high with four hits and scored twice for the Diamondbacks, who bounced back from a 7-1 loss on Friday.
Wade Miley (6-1) surrendered eight hits and five runs -- three earned -- over six innings to win his third straight start. The rookie left-hander also picked up a pair of hits, including a double.
Parra topped off his great night by racing back to make a catch in deep center field on a ball hit by Norichika Aoki in the ninth inning. J.J. Putz had a 1-2-3 final inning and notched his 10th save of the year.
Cody Ransom hit a two-run double for the Brewers, who lost for the seventh time in 10 contests.
Zack Greinke (5-2) was shelled for 10 hits and seven runs over 2 1/3 innings and suffered his first loss since April 12. He was 4-0 over his previous seven starts.
Jonathan Lucroy singled in Corey Hart in the first inning, but Arizona went ahead 2-1 in the bottom half thanks to RBI singles from Justin Upton and Jason Kubel.
Aoki tripled leading off the third and scored on Ryan Braun's groundout. Ransom cranked a two-run double down the left-field line later in the frame and Edwin Maysonet reached second on Ryan Roberts' error, plating Ransom.
A bases-loaded walk to Roberts in the bottom half cut the deficit to 5-3 and Konrad Schmidt's fielder's choice grounder plated another run. McDonald then drilled a pitch barely over the wall in left.
"We were just trying to get good at-bats and we were able to hit some pretty tough pitches," Kubel said. "That's what we need to do, especially against him (Greinke), take what you can get."
Greinke gave up a single to Miley and then walked Parra before being removed.
"I think Zack lost command. I think he tried to be perfect and you can't pitch perfect," Brewers manager Ron Roenicke said.
Upton seemed upset after being hit by a pitch in the back by Mike McClendon later in the third, but Kubel grounded out with the bases full.
Aaron Hill singled in Parra in the seventh.
Diamondbacks catcher Miguel Montero, who received a five-year contract extension Saturday, sat out his fourth straight game due to a groin injury...Miley owns a seven-game hitting streak, going 8-for-17. His seven- game hit streak ties Dan Haren (May 21-June 28, 2010) for the club record by a pitcher...The Diamondbacks have won just three of their last 13 home games, while Milwaukee lost for just the fourth time in its last 15 road contests vs. the Diamondbacks...Aramis Ramirez was scratched for Milwaukee due to a bruised left elbow. He was hit by a Craig Breslow pitch leading off ninth inning Friday night.
- MILWAUKEE: 5
May 27 1:10 AM
- Aaron Hill single to right scored Gerardo Parra with two outs. Runner on first and Justin Upton due up.
Brewers 5, Diamondbacks 8 Bot 7, 2 OutsMay 27 12:41 AM
- John McDonald one-out, three-run Home Run (2) to left scored Paul Goldschmidt and Konrad Schmidt. Wade Miley due up.
Brewers 5, Diamondbacks 7 Bot 3, 1 OutMay 26 11:26 PM
- Konrad Schmidt grounded into a fielder's choice, third to second, scoing Jason Kubel with one out. Ryan Roberts out at second, Paul Goldschmidt advances to third. Runners on first and third and John McDonald due up.
Brewers 5, Diamondbacks 4 Bot 3, 1 OutMay 26 11:23 PM
- Ryan Roberts bases loaded walk scored Justin Upton with none out. Bases loaded and Konrad Schmidt due up.
Brewers 5, Diamondbacks 3 Bot 3, 0 OutsMay 26 11:21 PM
- Edwin Maysonet reached second on Ryan Roberts's fielding error, scoring Cody Ransom with two outs. Runner on second and Zack Greinke due up.
Brewers 5, Diamondbacks 2 Top 3, 2 OutsMay 26 11:11 PM
- Cody Ransom double to left scored Jonathan Lucroy and Rickie Weeks with one out. Runner on second and Carlos Gomez due up.
Brewers 4, Diamondbacks 2 Top 3, 1 OutMay 26 11:06 PM
- Ryan Braun ground out second to first scored Norichika Aoki with one out. None on and Jonathan Lucroy due up.
Brewers 2, Diamondbacks 2 Top 3, 1 OutMay 26 11:00 PM
- Jason Kubel single to right scored Aaron Hill with none out. On the play, Justin Upton advances to third. Runners on first and third and Paul Goldschmidt due up.
Brewers 1, Diamondbacks 2 Bot 1, 0 OutsMay 26 10:33 PM
- Justin Upton single to right scored Gerardo Parra with none out. On the play, Aaron Hill advances to second. Runners on first and second and Jason Kubel due up.
Brewers 1, Diamondbacks 1 Bot 1, 0 OutsMay 26 10:31 PM
- Jonathan Lucroy single to left scored Corey Hart with two outs. Runner on first and Rickie Weeks due up.
Brewers 1, Diamondbacks 0 Top 1, 2 OutsMay 26 10:18 PM
- MILWAUKEE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 26 10:10 PM
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21
- Wright swings away, gives Mets 5-4 comeback win over Brewers May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21