Diamondbacks complete sweep of A'sJun 11, 2012 - 2:01 AM
Saunders (4-4) was charged with just one earned run on seven hits and two walks along with five strikeouts. Aaron Hill and Jason Kubel each drove in two while Chris Young went 2-for-4 with two runs scored for the Diamondbacks, who went 5-1 on a six-game homestand.
"I think it's the way we see ourselves playing in general," said Arizona manager Kirk Gibson. "We're still making mistakes, but we're cleaning some things up and getting better."
Travis Blackley (0-2) was charged with four runs -- three earned -- on six hits with three walks over 4 2/3 innings in the loss. Brandon Inge and Seth Smith each drove in a run for the Athletics, who have lost four of six.
"You know, it's just one run and we hoped we could scratch one out in the last innings," said Smith. "Our bullpen did a good job holding things, we just fell a little short."
Arizona opened the game with a three-run first inning. With one out, Chris Young and Justin Upton singled before Paul Goldschmidt walked to load the bases. Kubel then reached base on an error by Cliff Pennington to score one. Hill then punched a single to left to plate two more for a 3-0 lead.
Oakland finally got to Saunders in the fourth. With one out, Jonny Gomes doubled and Inge followed with an RBI double. Two batters later, Josh Donaldson singled to left and Kubel's throw to home beat Inge to the plate, but Henry Blanco was unable to hang on to the ball and it was a 3-2 game
Arizona got one back in the fifth when Kubel's single to center scored Young for a 4-2 advantage.
The run proved fortunate as Smith's pinch-hit, RBI single off Bryan Shaw in the seventh scored Collin Cowgill to make it a one-run game.
That was it for Oakland, though, as David Hernandez struck out the side in the eighth and J.J. Putz worked a 1-2-3 ninth for his 13th save of the season.
Blackley got hit high in the left thigh off a line drive from Ryan Roberts in the second inning, but stayed in the game...Hill nearly had a home run in the eighth, but it stayed just foul of the left field pole and a replay confirmed the on-field call...Arizona begins a six-game road trip in Texas on Tuesday...Oakland starts a three-game series in Colorado on Tuesday.
- OAKLAND: 3
Jun 10 7:09 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Seth Smith single to center scored Collin Cowgill with two out. On the play, Josh Reddick advances to third. Runners on first and third and Brandon Inge due up.
Athletics 3, Diamondbacks 4 Top 7, 2 OutsJun 10 6:33 PM
- Jason Kubel single to center scored Chris Young with two out. Runner on first and Aaron Hill due up.
Athletics 2, Diamondbacks 4 Bot 5, 2 OutsJun 10 6:01 PM
- Josh Donaldson singled to left. On the play, Brandon Inge scored on Henry Blanco's missed catch error with two out. Josh Donaldson to second on the throw. Runner on second and Adam Rosales due up.
Athletics 2, Diamondbacks 3 Top 4, 2 OutsJun 10 5:33 PM
- Brandon Inge double to center scored Jonny Gomes with one out. Runner on second and Cliff Pennington due up.
Athletics 1, Diamondbacks 3 Top 4, 1 OutJun 10 5:25 PM
- John McDonald flied out to center. Runners on first and second and with two outs and Henry Blanco due up.
Athletics 0, Diamondbacks 3 Bot 1, 2 OutsJun 10 4:40 PM
- Jason Kubel reached first on a force attempt, missed catch error by Jemile Weeks scored Chris Young with one out. On the play, Paul Goldschmidt advances to second and Justin Upton advances to third. Bases loaded and Aaron Hill due up.
Athletics 0, Diamondbacks 1 Bot 1, 1 OutJun 10 4:39 PM
- OAKLAND: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 10 4:11 PM
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21
- Manaea loses focus in A's 5-1 loss to Yankees May 21