Lewis goes the distance as Texas tops ArizonaJun 13, 2012 - 6:31 AM
Lewis (5-5) took a perfect game into the sixth inning and struck out seven. He gave up four hits, including an eighth-inning home run to Miguel Montero, and walked one.
"You know you haven't been out of the stretch," said Lewis, acknowledging that he was aware of his perfect game. "If you don't know that you haven't given up a hit then you're lying."
Mitch Moreland and Craig Gentry both had a pair of RBI for Texas, which was coming off a 4-6 road trip. Ian Kinsler went 3-for-5, drove in a run and scored on a wild pitch in the first inning.
Ian Kennedy (5-6) took the loss, allowing six runs on 10 hits over 5 2/3 innings. He struck out four and walked one for Arizona, which saw its season- high five-game win streak come to an end.
Diamondbacks first baseman Paul Goldschmidt went 0-for-3 and saw his career- high 17-game hit streak come to an end.
In addition to Goldschmidt, Lewis had to contend with Willie Bloomquist, who had reached base safely in 19 straight games, and Jason Kubel, who was batting .571 over his previous four tilts.
Bloomquist doubled in the ninth inning but Kubel failed to record a hit.
In fact, Aaron Hill was the first to do so, lacing a one-out single in the sixth, but Lewis promptly induced Josh Bell into an inning-ending double play.
Murphy's homer in the bottom half was one of six consecutive two-out hits for the Rangers, resulting in a five-run frame. Moreland and Gentry had back-to- back RBI doubles during the stretch and Kinsler added a run-scoring single, which knocked Kennedy from the game.
Texas loaded the bases an inning later and Moreland came through with a two- out single before Mike Zagurski hit Gentry, forcing home another run.
Elvis Andrus led off the eighth with a triple and came home on Josh Hamilton's base hit to left, sealing the final margin.
"Lewis threw a great game," said Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson. "We weren't on him. They swung the bats well so we'll put this one behind us."
It was Lewis' fifth career complete game. In his last outing, he went the distance but suffered a hard-luck, 2-0 loss to the Athletics...Prior to the game, the Rangers placed pitcher Alexi Ogando on the 15-day disabled list with a right groin strain.
- ARIZONA: 1
Jun 12 10:46 PM
- Josh Hamilton single to left scored Elvis Andrus with none out. Runner on first and Adrian Beltre due up.
Diamondbacks 1, Rangers 9 Bot 8, 0 OutsJun 12 10:28 PM
- Miguel Montero one-out, solo Home Run (5) to center. Chris Young due up.
Diamondbacks 1, Rangers 8 Top 8, 1 OutJun 12 10:20 PM
- Craig Gentry was hit-by-pitch Michael Young scored with two outs. Bases loaded and Ian Kinsler due up.
Diamondbacks 0, Rangers 8 Bot 7, 2 OutsJun 12 10:14 PM
- Mitch Moreland single to right scored Adrian Beltre with two outs. On the play, Yorvit Torrealba advances to second and Michael Young advances to third. Bases loaded and Craig Gentry due up.
Diamondbacks 0, Rangers 7 Bot 7, 2 OutsJun 12 10:11 PM
- Brad Ziegler enters the game for the Diamondbacks with a runner on first and two outs.
Diamondbacks 0, Rangers 6 Bot 6, 2 OutsJun 12 9:46 PM
- Craig Gentry double to first scored Mitch Moreland with two outs. Runner on second and Ian Kinsler due up.
Diamondbacks 0, Rangers 5 Bot 6, 2 OutsJun 12 9:44 PM
- Mitch Moreland double to center scored Yorvit Torrealba with two outs. Runner on second and Craig Gentry due up.
Diamondbacks 0, Rangers 4 Bot 6, 2 OutsJun 12 9:42 PM
- David Murphy two-out, two-run Home Run (6) to right scored Michael Young. Yorvit Torrealba due up.
Diamondbacks 0, Rangers 3 Bot 6, 2 OutsJun 12 9:38 PM
- Ian Kinsler scored on a wild pitch with two outs.. None on and Adrian Beltre at the plate.
Diamondbacks 0, Rangers 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsJun 12 8:22 PM
- ARIZONA: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 12 8:08 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21
- Andrus, Ramos lead Rangers over Astros 2-1 May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21