Diamondbacks avoid sweep with rout of RangersJun 15, 2012 - 5:35 AM
Lyle Overbay went 3-for-5 with three RBI and two runs scored while Jason Kubel and Miguel Montero each hit a two-run homer for the Diamondbacks, who had won five straight prior to dropping the first two games of this set.
Daniel Hudson (3-1) went seven innings in the win as he gave up three runs on five hits with seven strikeouts.
"He kept his feet under him after having a tough first inning," said Arizona manager Kirk Gibson about Hudson. "He stayed with his game plan and kept them off-balance, did a good job of shutting them down tonight."
Scott Feldman (0-6) dropped his sixth straight start as he was banged up for six runs -- four earned -- on eight hits with six strikeouts over five-plus innings for the Rangers, who had a three-game winning streak snapped. David Murphy hit a two-run homer in the loss.
"I still have confidence in him," said Texas manager Ron Washington about Feldman. "I don't lose confidence in any of my guys. We won the series. So they beat us the last game. We won the series, don't forget that."
Texas took a 1-0 lead in the first when Elvis Andrus hit a one-out double and came home two batter later on an Adrian Beltre single, but the lead was short- lived.
In the second, Overbay hit a one-out single and Kubel followed with a shot over the wall in right for a 2-1 lead.
The Diamondbacks tacked on two more runs in the third when Overbay smacked a two-run double to center, and the team blew the game open in the sixth.
Montero led off the frame with a double and Overbay followed with a two- bagger. That spelled the end of Feldman's night as Tanner Scheppers took the mound.
The runs kept coming, though, for Arizona. After Kubel grounded out, which moved Overbay to third, Aaron Hill hit a single to center to plate Overbay. Ryan Roberts then singled and Parra followed with a shot over the right field wall for a 9-1 lead.
Texas got two back in the bottom of the seventh on Murphy's seventh of the year, a two-run shot over the right field wall, but Arizona answered in the ninth on Montero's two-run blast to cap the scoring in the game.
Texas had won four straight over Arizona coming into Thursday's action...Texas hosts Houston for three games starting on Friday...Arizona continues its six- game road trip against the Angels for a three-game series beginning on Friday.
- ARIZONA: 11
Jun 14 11:02 PM
- Miguel Montero one-out, two-run Home Run (6) to right scored Justin Upton. Lyle Overbay due up.
Diamondbacks 11, Rangers 3 Top 9, 1 OutJun 14 10:54 PM
- David Murphy two-out, two-run Home Run (7) to right scored Adrian Beltre. Mike Napoli due up.
Diamondbacks 9, Rangers 3 Bot 7, 2 OutsJun 14 10:29 PM
- Gerardo Parra one-out, three-run Home Run (5) to right scored Aaron Hill and Ryan Roberts. Chris Young due up.
Diamondbacks 9, Rangers 1 Top 6, 1 OutJun 14 9:56 PM
- Aaron Hill single to center scored Lyle Overbay with one out. Runner on first and Ryan Roberts due up.
Diamondbacks 6, Rangers 1 Top 6, 1 OutJun 14 9:51 PM
- Lyle Overbay double to right scored Miguel Montero with none out.. Runner on second and Jason Kubel due up.
Diamondbacks 5, Rangers 1 Top 6, 0 OutsJun 14 9:46 PM
- Jason Kubel fouled out to third to end the inning.
Diamondbacks 4, Rangers 1 Mid 3Jun 14 8:59 PM
- Jason Kubel one-out, two-run Home Run (7) to right scored Lyle Overbay. Aaron Hill due up.
Diamondbacks 2, Rangers 1 Top 2, 1 OutJun 14 8:31 PM
- Adrian Beltre single to right scored Elvis Andrus with two outs. Runner on first and Michael Young due up.
Diamondbacks 0, Rangers 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsJun 14 8:23 PM
- ARIZONA: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 14 8:07 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21
- Andrus, Ramos lead Rangers over Astros 2-1 May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21