Miley strong as D-Backs complete sweep of CubsJun 25, 2012 - 12:56 AM
Miley (9-3) gave up just one run on three hits with a walk and seven strikeouts for the Diamondbacks, who have won four straight. Jason Kubel added a solo home run in the win.
It was Arizona's first three-game sweep of the Cubs since August 17-19, 2001.
"We were clicking on all cylinders and it's always nice to see that," said Upton. "You can't expect that to happen all the time, but it's fun to watch. Hopefully we can keep this momentum going for a while."
Alfonso Soriano hit a home run to account for the only run for the Cubs, who have lost four straight and eight of their last 11. Matt Garza (3-6) was touched for three runs on five hits with a walk and seven strikeouts over seven innings of work.
"Losing like we're losing now is tough," said Soriano. "Especially because no one here likes to lose. We have to get ourselves together here."
Arizona led off the game with a run as Gerardo Parra walked to start the inning, moved to second on an Aaron Hill groundout and came home thanks to an Upton single.
The sixth inning saw Arizona tack on another run as Parra tripled with two outs and came home on Hill's single off the glove of third baseman Joe Mather.
Chicago had just one baserunner through the first six innings, but finally got on the board in the seventh thanks to Soriano's 14th homer of the year.
Kubel, though, got the run back in the seventh with a leadoff blast over the right field wall.
Miley got out of a second and third with no outs jam in the eighth, then Upton sealed the win with a two-run single in the bottom of the eighth.
J.J. Putz worked a scoreless ninth to lock down the win.
After the game, the Diamondbacks and pitcher David Hernandez agreed to terms on a two-year contract...Arizona has won four straight against the Chicago Cubs...Arizona has off Monday before heading to Atlanta for a three-game set starting on Tuesday...Chicago hosts the Mets for three games starting on Monday.
- CHICAGO: 1
Jun 24 6:55 PM
- Justin Upton single to left scored Wade Miley and Gerardo Parra with none out. On the play, Aaron Hill advances to second. Runners on first and second and Jason Kubel due up.
Cubs 1, Diamondbacks 5 Bot 8, 0 OutsJun 24 6:32 PM
- Jason Kubel lead-off Home Run (10) to right. Miguel Montero due up.
Cubs 1, Diamondbacks 3 Bot 7, 0 OutsJun 24 6:00 PM
- Alfonso Soriano two-out, solo Home Run (14) to left. Jeff Baker due up.
Cubs 1, Diamondbacks 2 Top 7, 2 OutsJun 24 5:54 PM
- Aaron Hill infield single to third scored Gerardo Parra with two out. Runner on first and Justin Upton due up.
Cubs 0, Diamondbacks 2 Bot 6, 2 OutsJun 24 5:43 PM
- Justin Upton single to left scored Gerardo Parra with one out. Runner on first and Jason Kubel due up.
Cubs 0, Diamondbacks 1 Bot 1, 1 OutJun 24 4:28 PM
- CHICAGO: 0
Top 1, 2 Outs
Jun 24 4:24 PM
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21
- Cardinals blast 3 homers, Leake shuts down Diamondbacks 6-2 May 21