Reds rally to split series with D'BacksJul 19, 2012 - 10:42 PM
Todd Frazier capped a four-run seventh inning with a go-ahead RBI single for the Reds, who were down 6-0 entering the bottom of the sixth. The rally helped Cincinnati salvage a split and grab a half-game lead over idle Pittsburgh for first place in the NL Central.
Cincinnati didn't record a hit off Arizona starter Joe Saunders until there were two outs in the fifth. The Arizona left-hander gave up three straight to open the sixth, as Drew Stubbs and Wilson Valdez both singled before Phillips trimmed the deficit in half by homering to left field.
The Reds completed the comeback and wound up moving ahead in the next frame against the Arizona bullpen. After the first batter was retired quickly, Bryan Shaw (1-4) issued back-to-back four-pitch walks to pinch-hitter Xavier Paul and Stubbs. Valdez then hit a ball past first baseman Paul Goldschmidt that plated Paul. Goldschmidt was charged with an error on the play.
Phillips tied the game with a double to left-center, and Frazier gave Cincinnati the lead with his two-out base hit off Brad Ziegler.
Sean Marshall allowed a pair of two-out hits in the eighth, but preserved the Reds' lead by getting Willie Bloomquist on a ground ball to first.
Aroldis Chapman earned his 15th save of the season with a flawless ninth that featured a pair of strikeouts.
"The way we won, it was something that we didn't expect," Phillips said. "[Saunders] did a good job keeping the ball down and keeping us off balance. The longer we played, the more we realized what he was really doing."
Cincinnati starter Mike Leake was tagged for six runs on 11 hits in 5 1/3 innings. Alfredo Simon (2-1) was credited with the win after giving up one hit over 1 2/3 innings.
Arizona scored a run in the first and third innings and each time Bloomquist was the catalyst. The shortstop singled to begin the game and stole second before scoring on a two-out base hit by Goldschmidt.
Bloomquist led off the third with a double and Aaron Hill followed with a run- scoring ground ball. Hill extended the lead to 3-0 in the fifth when he launched his 13th home run, a two-out blast to left field.
The Diamondbacks doubled their advantage with a three-run sixth. Chris Young doubled home Justin Upton and scored on Henry Blanco's first home run of the year.
Saunders struck out five and walked three...The start of the game was delayed 46 minutes because of rain...Arizona outhit the Reds, 14-6.
- ARIZONA: 6
Jul 19 4:13 PM
- Todd Frazier singled to left scoring Brandon Phillips. Runner on first with two outs and Chris Heisey due up.
Diamondbacks 6, Reds 7 Bot 7, 2 OutsJul 19 3:43 PM
- Brandon Phillips doubled to left-center scoring Drew Stubbs and Wilson Valdez. Runner on second with one out and Jay Bruce due up.
Diamondbacks 6, Reds 6 Bot 7, 1 OutJul 19 3:35 PM
- Brandon Phillips none-out, three-run Home Run (11) to left scored Drew Stubbs and Wilson Valdez. Jay Bruce is due up.
Diamondbacks 6, Reds 3 Bot 6, 0 OutsJul 19 3:06 PM
- Henry Blanco one-out, two-run Home Run (1) to left scored Chris Young. Joe Saunders is due up.
Diamondbacks 6, Reds 0 Top 6, 1 OutJul 19 2:52 PM
- Chris Young doubled to left-center scoring Justin Upton. Runner on second with none out and Ryan Roberts due up.
Diamondbacks 4, Reds 0 Top 6, 0 OutsJul 19 2:50 PM
- Aaron Hill two-out, solo Home Run (13) to left. Jason Kubel is due up.
Diamondbacks 3, Reds 0 Top 5, 2 OutsJul 19 2:31 PM
- Aaron Hill singled to right scoring Willie Bloomquist. Runner on first with none out and Jason Kubel due up.
Diamondbacks 2, Reds 0 Top 3, 0 OutsJul 19 1:57 PM
- Paul Goldschmidt singled to center scoring Willie Bloomquist. Runner on second with two outs as Goldschmidt advanced on the throw to home and Justin Upton due up.
Diamondbacks 1, Reds 0 Top 1, 2 OutsJul 19 1:29 PM
- ARIZONA: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 19 1:22 PM
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Reds promote 3 pitchers from Triple-A Louisville May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21
- Gutierrez homers, Mariners beat Reds 4-0 with Junior honored May 21
- Cardinals blast 3 homers, Leake shuts down Diamondbacks 6-2 May 21