Hill does it all as Arizona clips Miami in twinbill openerAug 22, 2012 - 11:01 PM
Gerardo Parra collected two hits and scored twice for the Diamondbacks, who dropped the first two games in this series but won in the first contest of the first doubleheader in the history of their home park.
Recalled from Triple-A prior to the game, Tyler Skaggs (1-0) picked up his first pro victory by giving up two runs on three hits over 6 2/3 innings. J.J. Putz earned his 25th save with a scoreless ninth.
"It was pretty nerve-wracking but I felt like I did a good job," Skaggs said. "Trust me, everybody's going to have nerves, people say they don't, but once you get that 1st pitch out of the way you feel a lot better."
Justin Ruggiano hit a two-run homer for the Marlins, who lost for the third time in their last eight.
In his first start since being acquired from Detroit, Jacob Turner (0-1) allowed four hits and three runs with five strikeouts over six full frames in defeat.
Parra singled with one out in the third, stole second, then scored when Hill followed with a base hit to left. That gave the hosts a one-run edge, and Skaggs protected it.
After easy innings in the fourth and fifth, walks to Donovan Solano and Jose Reyes put two on with none out in the sixth. Skaggs skated free thanks to a 5-4-3 double-play grounder from Carlos Lee and a Giancarlo Stanton pop out.
Skaggs then walked Donnie Murphy with two down in the seventh and yielded to Brad Ziegler, who allowed a pinch-single to Austin Kearns before fanning pinch-hitter Greg Dobbs swinging.
David Hernandez shut the door in the eighth and Putz followed suit to lock up the victory.
Hill's two-run homer in the bottom of the first was countered by Ruggiano's two-run shot in the second. On the former, Parra reached with a leadoff single, while in the latter, Stanton drew a leadoff walk.
"Just got on the side of the ball in the first inning, made myself flatten out a little bit, and made a few bad pitches that cost me," Turner admitted. "Like I said was getting on the side of the ball, just getting back on top and making quality pitches."
Skaggs walked five and struck out four...Marlins manager Ozzie Guillen was ejected from the game following the top of the third for arguing with first base umpire Angel Campos...Arizona also optioned pitcher Sam Demel to Reno and recalled outfielder A.J. Pollock from Reno...The back end of the doubleheader is slated to start at 9:40 p.m. (ET)...Following the contest, the Marlins placed Emilio Bonifacio on the 15-day disabled list and recalled pitcher Dan Jennings.
- MIAMI: 2
Aug 22 6:02 PM
- Aaron Hill singled to left scored Gerardo Parra. On the play, Aaron Hill thrown out at second, left to second. None on with two outs and Jason Kubel due up.
Marlins 2, Diamondbacks 3 Bot 3, 2 OutsAug 22 4:29 PM
- Justin Ruggiano none-out, two-run Home Run (12) to center scored Giancarlo Stanton. John Buck due up.
Marlins 2, Diamondbacks 2 Top 2, 0 OutsAug 22 4:03 PM
- Aaron Hill none-out, two-run Home Run (18) to left scored Gerardo Parra. Jason Kubel due up.
Marlins 0, Diamondbacks 2 Bot 1, 0 OutsAug 22 3:52 PM
- MIAMI: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 22 3:42 PM
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Nationals-Marlins Preview May 22
- Nats' 9th-inning rally comes up short in 3-2 loss at Miami May 21
- Jose Fernandez pitches Marlins past Nationals 3-2 May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21