Richard pitches Padres to 6th straight winAug 26, 2012 - 3:44 AM
Chase Headley, Carlos Quentin and Yonder Alonso homered off Ian Kennedy, as the Padres won their sixth in a row at Chase Field.
Richard (11-12) gave up seven hits and three runs, including a pair of homers. The lefty has won four of his last five starts, and has pitched at least eight innings in three of those games. He's 5-0 in seven career games against the Diamondbacks.
Justin Upton, who celebrated his 25th birthday Saturday, hit a two-run inside- the-park homer for Arizona. Aaron Hill also went deep for the Diamondbacks, who will try to avoid the three-game sweep Sunday.
Kennedy (11-11) allowed four hits and six runs over 5 1/3 innings to lose for the first time in seven career decisions against the Padres.
Headley homered to right field in the opening inning, but in the bottom of the second Upton got a fortunate bounce to turn it the ninth inside-the-park homer in franchise history.
Paul Goldschmidt walked, and then Upton hit a ball to the 413-foot sign in right-center field. The ball took an odd carom past center fielder Cameron Maybin and Upton scored without a throw to the plate.
Quentin homered to center in the fourth and Alonso started the next inning by taking a 1-2 pitch over the wall in right field.
"When he started out he threw the ball good but obviously the home runs hurt him," Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson said of Kennedy.
San Diego loaded the bases with one out in the sixth inning and Kennedy walked Yasmani Grandal to increase the margin to 4-2. Alonso followed with a two-run single into right field. Quentin made a tumbling slide at the plate to avoid the tag from Miguel Montero.
A pair of sacrifice flies and a bases-loaded walk in the eighth increased the difference to 9-2 before Hill homered off Richard in the bottom of the inning.
"Defensively it was a great game and when you get lead like we did, it makes things a lot easier too," Richard said.
Upton has reached base safely in 18 straight home games ... The Diamondbacks have lost nine of their last 13 home contests ... San Diego shortstop Everth Cabrera was a perfect 24-for-24 in stolen bases this season, but was thrown out trying to swipe second in the third inning.
- SAN DIEGO: 9
Aug 25 10:40 PM
- Aaron Hill two-out, solo Home Run (19) to left. Jason Kubel due up.
Padres 9, Diamondbacks 3 Bot 8, 2 OutsAug 25 10:29 PM
- Alexi Amarista sacrifice fly to right scored Yasmani Grandal with two out. On the play, Yonder Alonso advances to third. Runners on first and third and Clayton Richard due up.
Padres 9, Diamondbacks 2 Top 8, 2 OutsAug 25 10:23 PM
- Chase Headley sacrifice fly to center scored Will Venable with one out. None on and Carlos Quentin due up.
Padres 7, Diamondbacks 2 Top 8, 1 OutAug 25 10:11 PM
- Yonder Alonso single to right scored Chase Headley and Carlos Quentin with one out. On the play, Yasmani Grandal advances to second. Runners on first and second and Cameron Maybin due up.
Padres 6, Diamondbacks 2 Top 6, 1 OutAug 25 9:38 PM
- Cameron Maybin grounded out third to first. None on with one out and Alexi Amarista due up.
Padres 3, Diamondbacks 2 Top 5, 1 OutAug 25 9:14 PM
- Paul Goldschmidt lined out to second. None on with two outs and Justin Upton due up.
Padres 2, Diamondbacks 2 Bot 4, 2 OutsAug 25 9:08 PM
- Justin Upton none-out, two-run inside-the-park Home Run (10) to left scored Paul Goldschmidt. Miguel Montero due up.
Padres 1, Diamondbacks 2 Bot 2, 0 OutsAug 25 8:34 PM
- Chase Headley two-out, solo Home Run (22) to right. Carlos Quentin due up.
Padres 1, Diamondbacks 0 Top 1, 2 OutsAug 25 8:16 PM
- SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 25 8:10 PM
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21