They're Red hot: Cincy beats Arizona again, sweeps seriesAug 29, 2012 - 11:47 PM
The Reds moved a season-high 28 games over .500 and lead the majors with an 80-52 record. They scored all six of their runs on homers.
Heisey tied the game with a two-run homer in the seventh inning and had a solo blast in the eighth. Dioner Navarro's solo homer in the seventh gave the Reds the lead and Brandon Phillips hit a two-run blast in the following frame.
Mat Latos (11-4) earned the win in seven innings, giving up two runs on five hits and three walks and striking out seven. He had been 0-1 in his previous four starts. Latos also had two singles.
The Diamondbacks dropped their sixth game in a row to end 2-8 on a 10-game homestand. It was the first time this season they have lost six straight home games.
"We scored 13 runs in our last six games. The games that we lost, not a lot is going right," said Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson. "Everybody is searching and the more you search the tougher it gets at times."
The Reds had just two hits off Patrick Corbin (5-6) in the first six innings but broke through in the seventh with the homers from Heisey and Navarro.
Corbin struck out eight and walked one in his 6 2/3 innings.
The rookie left-hander gave up a single to Latos in the third and a base hit to Zack Cozart in the sixth, rolling through the Cincinnati lineup while the Diamondbacks built him a 2-0 lead. The first run came on a Latos balk in the first inning and Jake Elmore hit an RBI double in the fourth.
Todd Frazier started Cincinnati's rally in the seventh inning with a one-out double and Heisey hit his fifth home run of the season over the center field wall to tie the game.
Heisey said Corbin pitched well, but Cincinnati's scouting report caught up to him.
"I think the home run he gave up to me was one of the first at bats that he had fallen behind," said Heisey, who had his fourth career multi-homer game. "Then I was sitting on a fastball and I got it. He was pitching ahead, pitching in, pitching out with his fastball. We knew he threw a lot of fastballs, the scouting report had him doing that. Finally got to him."
Corbin's pitch count had been just 72 going into the inning.
"His sinker was dominant all day but he threw one to Heisey that didn't sink," said Gibson. "He was in total control of the game and it got away from him quick."
Navarro's second homer, a line drive to left, came with two outs and gave the Reds the lead. Corbin was pulled after giving up a second single to Latos.
Brad Ziegler got out of the inning, but the Reds scored three off Matt Albers in the eighth on Phillips' 15th homer of the season and Heisey's solo shot.
The Reds won the season series with Arizona 5-2 ... In 14 series since the All-Star break the Reds are 10-2-2 with five sweeps ... Cincinnati starts a three-game series at Houston on Friday ... The Diamondbacks start a 10-game road trip Thursday in Los Angeles against the Dodgers.
- CINCINNATI: 6
Aug 29 6:30 PM
- Chris Heisey two-out, solo Home Run 2 (6) to left. Miguel Cairo due up.
Reds 6, Diamondbacks 2 Top 8, 2 OutsAug 29 5:59 PM
- Brandon Phillips none-out, two-run Home Run (15) to center scored Drew Stubbs. Jay Bruce due up.
Reds 5, Diamondbacks 2 Top 8, 0 OutsAug 29 5:53 PM
- Dioner Navarro two-out, solo Home Run (2) to left. Mat Latos due up.
Reds 3, Diamondbacks 2 Top 7, 2 OutsAug 29 5:29 PM
- Miguel Cairo struck out swinging. None on with two outs and Dioner Navarro due up.
Reds 2, Diamondbacks 2 Top 7, 2 OutsAug 29 5:28 PM
- Jake Elmore doubled to left scored Justin Upton. Runner on second with two outs and Wil Nieves due up.
Reds 0, Diamondbacks 2 Bot 4, 2 OutsAug 29 4:50 PM
- Mat Latos balk scored Aaron Hill. Paul Goldschmidt advances to second. Runner on second with two outs and Justin Upton at the plate.
Reds 0, Diamondbacks 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsAug 29 4:01 PM
- CINCINNATI: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 29 3:40 PM
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Reds promote 3 pitchers from Triple-A Louisville May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21
- Gutierrez homers, Mariners beat Reds 4-0 with Junior honored May 21
- Cardinals blast 3 homers, Leake shuts down Diamondbacks 6-2 May 21