Headley hits 2 HRs as Padres down D'backsSep 8, 2012 - 6:32 AM
Headley hit two home runs, including a go-ahead solo shot in the eighth inning, and the Padres defeated the Arizona Diamondbacks, 6-5, in the opener of a three-game series at Petco Park.
Over his last 18 games, Headley -- the NL Player of the Month for August -- has seven home runs and 25 RBI. The Padres are 13-5 over that span.
Headley added a three-run homer in the third inning while Yasmani Grandal hit a first-inning, two-run double in the victory -- San Diego's seventh in a row against Arizona.
In his first start since July 3, the Padres' Andrew Cashner gave up four hits -- including Ryan Wheeler's fifth-inning, two-run double -- over five innings. The righty, who missed time with a shoulder injury, struck out five and did not issue a walk.
Wheeler added a seventh-inning RBI double for the Diamondbacks, who took two of three from the San Francisco Giants in their previous series.
Rookie Tyler Skaggs lasted just three innings in the start for Arizona and was charged with five runs on five hits.
"I felt like I had good stuff today...felt like I threw the ball well," Skaggs said. "Just a couple mistake pitches...a couple balls that were blooped in and just wasn't my best today."
Miguel Montero hit a game-tying, two-run double in the eighth inning, but Headley led off the bottom half with a homer to left-center field off David Hernandez (2-3) for a 6-5 advantage.
"That is a guy who is a good pitcher with good stuff and Chase squared one up," said Padres manager Bud Black. "The last couple of months, he has been in a great spot confidence wise, swing wise."
Brad Brach (2-4) recorded the final out in the eighth to record the win and Luke Gregerson worked around a two-out single in the ninth to notch his fifth save of the season.
Headley recorded his fourth career multi-home run game. He has 26 homers this season ... The Padres lead the season-series, 9-4 ... Skaggs had lasted at least five innings in each of his previous three career starts.
- ARIZONA: 5
SAN DIEGO: 6
Sep 8 12:54 AM
- Chase Headley lead off Home Run 2 (26) to center. Yasmani Grandal due up.
Diamondbacks 5, Padres 6 Bot 8, 0 OutsSep 8 12:39 AM
- Miguel Montero double to center scored Adam Eaton and Jason Kubel with two outs. Runner on second and Chris Johnson due up.
Diamondbacks 5, Padres 5 Top 8, 2 OutsSep 8 12:31 AM
- Ryan Wheeler double to center scored Miguel Montero with one out. Runner on secondand John McDonald due up.
Diamondbacks 3, Padres 5 Top 7, 1 OutSep 8 12:02 AM
- Ryan Wheeler double to right scored Miguel Montero and Chris Johnson with none out. Runner on second and John McDonald due up.
Diamondbacks 2, Padres 5 Top 5, 0 OutsSep 7 11:24 PM
- Chase Headley none-out, three-run Home Run (25) to left scored Chris Denorfia and Logan Forsythe. Yasmani Grandal due up.
Diamondbacks 0, Padres 5 Bot 3, 0 OutsSep 7 10:56 PM
- Yonder Alonso grounded out second to first to end the inning.
Diamondbacks 0, Padres 2 End 1Sep 7 10:24 PM
- ARIZONA: 0
SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 1 Out
Sep 7 10:08 PM
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21