Hill helps D'Backs slip past RockiesSep 24, 2012 - 5:56 AM
Before Hill's blast off Matt Belisle (3-8), pinch-hitter Mike Jacobs delivered a game-tying RBI single for the Diamondbacks, who have won six of seven and remain 4 1/2 games behind the St. Louis Cardinals for the final wild card spot.
"Aaron's just been so steady," Arizona manager Kirk Gibson said. "It's good to have him in the two-hole. I did have a lineup today where I was going to put him down fifth, but he's been so clutch for us that you want him to get that extra at-bat."
Matt Albers (3-1) positioned himself for the victory after pitching a scoreless seventh. A.J. Pollock's RBI groundout and Jake Elmore's two-run single in the ninth helped pad the Diamondbacks' lead, while Cody Ransom, Ryan Wheeler and Wil Nieves added an RBI each earlier in the game.
J.J. Putz relieved Takashi Saito in the ninth to lock down his 32nd save of the season. Saito gave up a two-run double to Tyler Colvin and an RBI-single to D.J. LeMahieu to make it a three-run game.
Colorado has now lost a season-high nine straight games.
"It's another great effort. Unfortunately in the eighth inning we did not get the people out that we needed to get out," Rockies manager Jim Tracy said.
After inheriting a three-run lead, Ian Kennedy allowed Colorado to tie the game in the fifth and grab the lead in the sixth. After giving up singles to Matt McBride and Josh Rutledge, McBride came around to score on Charlie Blackmon's base hit. Jordan Pacheco plated Rutledge with a ground ball single and Wilin Rosario doubled to left to bring home Blackmon and tie the game at three.
Blackmon drove in another run in the sixth to give Colorado the lead, ending Kennedy's day. He pitched six innings and was charged with four runs on nine hits. He struck out six.
Jeff Francis lasted just four innings for the Rockies. He gave up RBI singles to Ransom and Nieves in the second and then walked Wheeler with the bases loaded in fifth to give Arizona a 3-0 lead.
The last time the Rockies lost nine-straight games was last Sept.15-23 ... Arizona is undefeated in Kennedy's last nine Sept. starts dating back to last season ... The Diamondbacks will seek a four-game sweep of the Rockies on Monday.
- ARIZONA: 10
Sep 23 7:11 PM
- DJ LeMahieu singled to center scored Tyler Colvin with two outs. Runner on first and Matt Reynolds due up.
Diamondbacks 10, Rockies 7 Bot 9, 2 OutsSep 23 7:05 PM
- Tyler Colvin doubled to right scored Jordan Pacheco and Chris Nelson with one out. Runner on second and Andrew Brown due up.
Diamondbacks 10, Rockies 6 Bot 9, 1 OutSep 23 7:03 PM
- Pinch-Hitter A.J. Pollock grounded out short to first scored Jake Elmore with two outs. On the play, Wil Nieves advances to third. Runner on third and Adam Eaton due up.
Diamondbacks 10, Rockies 4 Top 9, 2 OutsSep 23 6:51 PM
- Jake Elmore singled to center scored Paul Goldschmidt and Jason Kubel with one out. Runner on first and Wil Nieves due up.
Diamondbacks 9, Rockies 4 Top 9, 1 OutSep 23 6:47 PM
- Aaron Hill two-out, three-run Home Run (24) to left scored Wil Nieves and Mike Jacobs. Justin Upton due up.
Diamondbacks 7, Rockies 4 Top 8, 2 OutsSep 23 6:16 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Mike Jacobs singled to center scored John McDonald with one out. On the play, Wil Nieves advances to third. Runners on first and third and Adam Eaton due up.
Diamondbacks 4, Rockies 4 Top 8, 1 OutSep 23 6:11 PM
- Charlie Blackmon singled to center scored DJ LeMahieu. On the play, Josh Rutledge out at third on the throw, center fielder to third baseman to end the inning.
Diamondbacks 3, Rockies 4 End 6Sep 23 5:34 PM
- Wilin Rosario doubled to left scored Charlie Blackmon with one out. On the play, Jordan Pacheco advances to third. Runners on second and third and Chris Nelson due up.
Diamondbacks 3, Rockies 3 Bot 5, 1 OutSep 23 5:04 PM
- Jordan Pacheco singled to short scored Josh Rutledge with one out. On the play, Charlie Blackmon advances to third. Runners on first and third and Wilin Rosario due up.
Diamondbacks 3, Rockies 2 Bot 5, 1 OutSep 23 5:03 PM
- Charlie Blackmon singled to right scored Matt McBride with one out. On the play, Josh Rutledge advances to third on Justin Upton's fielding error. Runners on first and third and Jordan Pacheco due up.
Diamondbacks 3, Rockies 1 Bot 5, 1 OutSep 23 5:01 PM
- Ryan Wheeler walked. Aaron Hill scored on the play with two outs. Bases loaded and Cody Ransom due up.
Diamondbacks 3, Rockies 0 Top 5, 2 OutsSep 23 4:45 PM
- Ian Kennedy sacrifice bunt to pitcher. On the play, Wil Nieves advances to second and Cody Ransom advances to third. Runners on second and third and with two outs and Adam Eaton due up.
Diamondbacks 2, Rockies 0 Top 2, 2 OutsSep 23 3:46 PM
- ARIZONA: 0
Top 1, 1 Out
Sep 23 3:12 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Adames' first homer caps 4-run 9th as Rockies win 4-1 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21
- Pirates 3B Kang exits with left hand injury after slide May 21