Rockies top DiamondbacksSep 25, 2012 - 5:22 AM
DJ LeMahieu drove in a run and Charlie Blackmon had two hits and scored once for the Rockies, who snapped a nine-game skid.
Tyler Chatwood (5-5) allowed two runs on three hits and struck out three over 5 2/3 innings to earn the win.
"Chatwood did a great job tonight," LeMahieu said. "We had some tough outs, got the hits when we needed to and it's good to get that win."
Rafael Betancourt stranded two in the ninth to earn his 30th save.
Jason Kubel smacked a two-run homer and Paul Goldschmidt scored a run for the Diamondbacks, who trail the St. Louis Cardinals by 5 1/2 games for the final NL wild card spot.
"We're just going to try and win as many games as we can. We've been in that mode for some time," D'backs manager Kirk Gibson said. "We'll try to win every game until the last win we play."
Trevor Cahill (12-12) surrendered three runs -- two earned -- on nine hits and struck out six over six frames.
The Rockies took an early 1-0 lead when Colvin singled to score Blackmon. Blackmon was hit by a pitch before taking third on Cahill's throwing error. Colvin followed with a base hit to right field.
With one on in the fourth, Kubel clobbered a homer into the second deck in right field to give the D'backs the lead.
But Colorado tallied two in the home half to retake the lead. A pair of base hits bookended a walk to load the bases for Andrew Brown who grounded into a force out at second base, allowing Colvin to score. LeMahieu followed with a single to right field to plate Chris Nelson.
Brown put the Rockies up 4-2 in the eighth after stroking a solo shot to right field.
Colorado is 6-17 in September ... Chatwood is 4-2 against NL West opponents ... Cahill snapped a three-start winning streak and lost for the first time since Aug. 26.
- ARIZONA: 2
Sep 24 11:12 PM
- Andrew Brown two-out, solo Home Run (4) to right. DJ LeMahieu due up.
Diamondbacks 2, Rockies 4 Bot 8, 2 OutsSep 24 10:59 PM
- DJ LeMahieu single to right scored Chris Nelson with one out. On the play, Andrew Brown advanced to second. Runners on first and second and Tyler Chatwood due up.
Diamondbacks 2, Rockies 3 Bot 4, 1 OutSep 24 9:44 PM
- Andrew Brown reached first on a fielder's choice, second to short that scored Tyler Colvin with one out. Matt McBride out at second as Chris Nelson advanced to third. Runners on first and third and DJ LeMahieu due up.
Diamondbacks 2, Rockies 2 Bot 4, 1 OutSep 24 9:43 PM
- Jason Kubel two-out, two-run Home Run (30) to right scored Paul Goldschmidt. Ryan Wheeler due up.
Diamondbacks 2, Rockies 1 Top 4, 2 OutsSep 24 9:32 PM
- Tyler Colvin single to right scored Charlie Blackmon with one out. On the play, Jordan Pacheco advanced to third. Runners on first and third and Chris Nelson due up.
Diamondbacks 0, Rockies 1 Bot 1, 1 OutSep 24 8:56 PM
- ARIZONA: 0
Top 1, 1 Out
Sep 24 8:43 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Adames' first homer caps 4-run 9th as Rockies win 4-1 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21
- Pirates 3B Kang exits with left hand injury after slide May 21