Upton, D'backs down CubsSep 29, 2012 - 7:06 AM
Arizona was knocked out of postseason contention for the fourth time in the past five seasons after St. Louis defeated Washington earlier on Friday.
"It didn't work out the way we wanted to," Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson said of his team's season. "I think we did it the right way. We weren't good enough."
Adam Eaton went 3-for-4 with an RBI and a run scored while Cody Ransom added a solo shot for the Diamondbacks, who had dropped three of four coming into play on Friday.
Ian Kennedy (15-11) won his fourth straight decision as he gave up three runs on four hits with six walks and five strikeouts in 5 2/3 innings.
Dave Sappelt hit a two-run home run and Starlin Castro drove in a run for the Cubs, who have lost 10 of their last 11. Travis Wood (6-13) took the loss after giving up five runs on five hits with three walks in five innings.
Arizona struck in the first inning on back-to-back doubles by Eaton and A.J. Pollock and Ransom hit a solo home run in the fourth for a 2-0 lead.
The Cubs tied the game in the fifth as David DeJesus walked with two outs and Sappelt followed with his second home run of the year -- a shot to left.
In the bottom of the frame, though, the Diamondbacks took the lead back.
Kennedy led off with a walk and moved to second on Eaton's sacrifice bunt. Two batters later, Aaron Hill doubled Kennedy home and Upton followed with his 20th homer of the season for a 5-2 advantage.
Chicago got one back in the sixth as Alfonso Soriano led off with a walk and scored on Castro's double to make it a 5-3 game.
The Diamondbacks sealed the win with a three-run eighth. Hill started the inning with a double and scored when Upton hit a single that saw a bad throw by Darwin Barney, his first error in 141 games. Run-scoring singles from Josh McDonald and Eaton later in the frame made it an 8-3 game.
"It had to end at some point," said Barney. "It's a funny game."
Barney tied the single-season record for second baseman with his 141 games without an error. Detroit's Placido Polanco originally established the record in 2007 ... The Cubs are two losses away from their first 100-loss season since 1956 when they went 59-103 ... Chicago stranded nine men on base ... The Cubs set a franchise record with their 57th road loss of the season and are 0-17 on the road against the NL West this season.
- CHICAGO: 3
Sep 29 12:44 AM
- Adam Eaton infield single to short, deflected by pitcher scored Mike Jacobs with two out. On the play, Chris Young advances to second and John McDonald advances to third. Bases loaded and A.J. Pollock due up.
Cubs 3, Diamondbacks 8 Bot 8, 2 OutsSep 29 12:35 AM
- John McDonald single to left scored Justin Upton with two out. On the play, Mike Jacobs advances to second. Runners on first and second and David Hernandez due up.
Cubs 3, Diamondbacks 7 Bot 8, 2 OutsSep 29 12:25 AM
- Cody Ransom struck out swinging. Runner on second with one out and Wil Nieves due up. NOTE: Justin upton stole second.
Cubs 3, Diamondbacks 6 Bot 8, 1 OutSep 29 12:23 AM
- Starlin Castro double to center scored Alfonso Soriano with none out. Runner on second and Luis Valbuena due up.
Cubs 3, Diamondbacks 5 Top 6, 0 OutsSep 28 11:20 PM
- Justin Upton two-out, two-run Home Run (20) to left scored Aaron Hill. Cody Ransom due up.
Cubs 2, Diamondbacks 5 Bot 5, 2 OutsSep 28 11:12 PM
- Aaron Hill double to center scored Ian Kennedy with two out. Runner on second and Justin Upton due up.
Cubs 2, Diamondbacks 3 Bot 5, 2 OutsSep 28 11:10 PM
- Dave Sappelt two-out, two-run Home Run (2) to left scored David DeJesus. Anthony Rizzo due up.
Cubs 2, Diamondbacks 2 Top 5, 2 OutsSep 28 11:00 PM
- Cody Ransom one-out, solo Home Run (11) to left. Wil Nieves due up.
Cubs 0, Diamondbacks 2 Bot 4, 1 OutSep 28 10:44 PM
- A.J. Pollock double to right scored Adam Eaton with none out. Runner on second and Aaron Hill due up.
Cubs 0, Diamondbacks 1 Bot 1, 0 OutsSep 28 10:02 PM
- CHICAGO: 0
Top 1, 1 Out
Sep 28 9:45 PM
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21
- Cardinals blast 3 homers, Leake shuts down Diamondbacks 6-2 May 21