Rizzo helps Cubs top D'backsOct 1, 2012 - 5:29 AM
Bryan LaHair had two RBI and David DeJesus stroked a solo homer for the Cubs, who but the brakes on a seven-game skid.
Chris Rusin (2-3) allowed two runs -- one earned -- on three hits and struck out four over five innings.
"If we're going to win one, it might as well be the last one on the west coast," Cubs manager Dale Sveum said. "It wasn't the prettiest thing ever."
Jason Kubel had an RBI for the Diamondbacks, losers in three of five.
Bryan Shaw (1-6) was pegged with the loss after giving up three unearned runs in 1/3 of an inning. Josh Collmenter started for Arizona and gave up one run on six hits over five frames.
"I was able to end on a good note, which was a definitely a positive," Collmenter said of his final start of the season.
Chicago got on the board in the first when Rizzo doubled home DeJesus.
The D'backs countered with a pair in the home half. With the bases loaded and two outs, Cody Ransom cued a grounder to third, scoring Aaron Hill. Justin Upton rounded third and broke for home and Anthony Recker couldn't hold onto the throw as Upton slide across the plate to give Arizona the 2-1 lead.
Chicago scored four in the sixth before adding one run in both the seventh and ninth innings.
With the bases loaded and two outs in the sixth, Dave Sappelt singled to score Rizzo and Recker was hit by a pitch to force home Alfonso Soriano. LaHair followed with a base hit to plate Starlin Castro.
Rizzo scored on Ransom's fielding error in the seventh and DeJesus added a solo homer in the ninth to cap the scoring.
Chicago will conclude its season with a three-game series with the Houston Astros ... Castro has played in all 159 games at shortstop this season ... Arizona will host the Colorado Rockies in a three-game set to end its season.
- CHICAGO: 7
Sep 30 7:16 PM
- David DeJesus one-out, solo Home Run (9) to right. Darwin Barney due up.
Cubs 7, Diamondbacks 2 Top 9, 1 OutSep 30 6:59 PM
- Alfonso Soriano reached first on Cody Ransom's fielding error scored Anthony Rizzo. Runner on first with two outs and Starlin Castro due up.
Cubs 6, Diamondbacks 2 Top 7, 2 OutsSep 30 6:25 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Bryan LaHair singled to right scored Starlin Castro and Dave Sappelt. On the play, LaHair was thrown out between first and second, right to first to end the inning.
Cubs 5, Diamondbacks 2 Mid 6Sep 30 6:04 PM
- Anthony Recker hit-by-pitch Alfonso Soriano scored on the play. Bases loaded with two outs and Chris Rusin due up.
Cubs 3, Diamondbacks 2 Top 6, 2 OutsSep 30 5:59 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Dave Sappelt infield single to first scored Anthony Rizzo. On the play, Starlin Castro advances to second and Alfonso Soriano advances to third. Bases loaded with two outs and Anthony Recker due up.
Cubs 2, Diamondbacks 2 Top 6, 2 OutsSep 30 5:59 PM
- Cody Ransom single to third scored Aaron Hill with two out, on the play, Luis Valbuena fielding error scored Aaron Hill. Runners on second and third with two outs and Mike Jacobs due up.
Cubs 1, Diamondbacks 2 Bot 1, 2 OutsSep 30 4:41 PM
- Anthony Rizzo double to left scored David DeJesus with one out. Runner on second with one out and Alfonso Soriano due up.
Cubs 1, Diamondbacks 0 Top 1, 1 OutSep 30 4:15 PM
- CHICAGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 30 4:11 PM
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21
- Cardinals blast 3 homers, Leake shuts down Diamondbacks 6-2 May 21