Swisher lifts Yankees over Orioles in extrasApr 12, 2012 - 6:16 AM
Yankees reliever Rafael Soriano (1-0) struck out Adam Jones with the bases loaded to send the game to extra innings, and after Mark Teixeira reached on a bloop double down the left-field line with two outs in the 10th, Swisher crushed Kevin Gregg's (0-1) offering deep into the right-field seats.
"It's so exciting to get out of here with the sweep," said Swisher. "When you win those first two games you really want to come back here and try to get that."
Mariano Rivera worked around a two-out single in the bottom half to record his second straight save in extra frames. Rivera also recorded his 40th save at Camden Yards, a new record for a visiting player at any ballpark.
Curtis Granderson went 2-for-5 with a home run and three RBI for New York, which evened its record after getting swept in Tampa Bay to begin the year.
Robert Andino and Mark Reynolds each drove in a pair of runs in defeat.
O's starter Jake Arrieta, coming off seven shutout innings in an Opening Day win over the Twins, gave up two runs in the first, as Derek Jeter led off with a double and Granderson followed with his first home run.
CC Sabathia spoiled a potential inning-ending double-play ball in the second when he failed to barehand Ronny Paulino's comebacker. The extended frame saw Andino lace a two-run base hit to center with two outs.
Jeter's run-scoring groundout gave New York a short-lived lead in the fifth, because in the bottom half Reynolds doubled into the left-field gap to bring home J.J. Hardy and Jones.
Arrieta was pulled with one on and two outs in the seventh for Luis Ayala, who walked Jeter before giving up the tying single to Granderson.
Sabathia exited after six frames, having allowed four runs on eight hits and two walks. He struck out eight.
Arrieta was charged with four runs on five hits in 6 2/3 frames.
"Getting swept is tough, but we're going to compete with those guys all year, as well as the other teams in our division," said Arrieta.
New York outlasted Baltimore, 5-4 in 12 innings on Tuesday...The Yankees play their home opener on Friday against the Angels...The Orioles open a three-game road series in Toronto on Friday...Teixeira, an Annapolis, Maryland native, turned 32 on Wednesday...Sabathia came in 16-2 lifetime against the Orioles with a 2.74 ERA in 22 starts.
- NEW YORK: 6
Apr 11 11:07 PM
- Nick Swisher two-out, two-run Home Run (2) to right scored Mark Teixeira. Raul Ibanez due up.
Yankees 6, Orioles 4 Top 10, 2 OutsApr 11 10:55 PM
- Curtis Granderson singled to left scored Russell Martin. On the play, Derek Jeter advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Robinson Cano due up.
Yankees 4, Orioles 4 Top 7, 2 OutsApr 11 9:44 PM
- Mark Reynolds doubled to left scored J.J. Hardy and Adam Jones. Runner on second with two outs and Ronny Paulino due up.
Yankees 3, Orioles 4 Bot 5, 2 OutsApr 11 9:14 PM
- Derek Jeter grounded out second to first scored Raul Ibanez. On the play, Brett Gardner advances to second and Russell Martin advances to third. Runners on second and third with one out and Curtis Granderson due up.
Yankees 3, Orioles 2 Top 5, 1 OutApr 11 9:00 PM
- Robert Andino singled to center scored Matt Wieters and Mark Reynolds. On the play, Ronny Paulino advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Nolan Reimold due up.
Yankees 2, Orioles 2 Bot 2, 2 OutsApr 11 8:07 PM
- Curtis Granderson none-out, two-run Home Run (1) to right scored Derek Jeter. Robinson Cano due up.
Yankees 2, Orioles 0 Top 1, 0 OutsApr 11 7:28 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 11 7:26 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21