Lawrie helps Blue Jays crush OriolesApr 16, 2012 - 2:48 AM
Edwin Encarnacion hit a two-run homer for the Blue Jays, who are 3-3 on a nine-game homestand. Yunel Escobar knocked in two runs and scored a run.
Kyle Drabek (2-0) gave two runs -- one earned -- on six hits in 7 1/3 innings to pick up the win. He struck out six and walked one.
Adam Jones hit a solo homer for the Orioles. Ronny Paulino drove in the other run.
Brian Matusz (0-2) allowed five runs on seven hits in 5 2/3 frames. He walked four and fanned four.
"I never found a rhythm," said Matusz. "There were times when I got ahead in the count and I didn't make a quality pitch to finish it. I just flat out didn't get the job done today."
The Orioles got on the board in the second. Wilson Betemit reached first on Drabek's error and Chris Davis doubled to left. Paulino then drove in a run when he grounded out.
Lawrie's solo homer to left in the fourth made it a 1-1 game.
Jones' solo homer in the sixth put Baltimore back on top, but Toronto scored seven runs in the home half of the inning. Jose Bautista led off with a double and crossed the plate on Encarnacion's homer. Ben Francisco singled and Rajai Davis walked with two outs.
Kevin Gregg took over for Matusz and gave up an RBI single to Jeff Mathis. Escobar followed with a two-run double. Kelly Johnson added an RBI double and Lawrie was later hit by a pitch with the bases loaded, forcing in another run to make it 8-2.
Lawrie's RBI single in the eighth accounted for the final margin.
"They hit the ball well today," Blue Jays relief pitcher Evan Crawford said about his team's offense. "It was an exciting day."
Matusz extended his career-high losing streak to 11 games...The Orioles went 0-for-6 with runners in scoring position and stranded five...Toronto had 13 hits.
- BALTIMORE: 2
Apr 15 3:48 PM
- Brett Lawrie single to center scored Edwin Encarnacion with two out. Runner on first with two outs and Ben Francisco due up.
Orioles 2, Blue Jays 9 Bot 8, 2 OutsApr 15 3:39 PM
- Ben Francisco flied out to right to end the inning.
Orioles 2, Blue Jays 8 End 6Apr 15 3:04 PM
- Kelly Johnson double to left scored Yunel Escobar with two out. Runner on second with two outs and Jose Bautista due up.
Orioles 2, Blue Jays 7 Bot 6, 2 OutsApr 15 2:55 PM
- Yunel Escobar double to right scored Rajai Davis and Jeff Mathis with two out. Runner on second with two outs and Kelly Johnson due up.
Orioles 2, Blue Jays 6 Bot 6, 2 OutsApr 15 2:53 PM
- Jeff Mathis single to left scored Ben Francisco with two out. On the play, Rajai Davis advances to third. Runners on second and third with two outs and Yunel Escobar due up.
Orioles 2, Blue Jays 4 Bot 6, 2 OutsApr 15 2:52 PM
- Edwin Encarnacion none-out, two-run Home Run (3) to left scored Jose Bautista. Brett Lawrie due up.
Orioles 2, Blue Jays 3 Bot 6, 0 OutsApr 15 2:39 PM
- Adam Jones two-out, solo Home Run (3) to left. Wilson Betemit due up.
Orioles 2, Blue Jays 1 Top 6, 2 OutsApr 15 2:31 PM
- Brett Lawrie one-out, solo Home Run (1) to left. Ben Francisco due up.
Orioles 1, Blue Jays 1 Bot 4, 1 OutApr 15 2:04 PM
- Ronny Paulino groundout to short scored Wilson Betemit with two out. On the play, Chris Davis advances to third. Runner on third with two outs and Ryan Flaherty due up.
Orioles 1, Blue Jays 0 Top 2, 2 OutsApr 15 1:32 PM
- BALTIMORE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 15 1:09 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22