Weaver leads Angels over OriolesApr 22, 2012 - 3:52 AM Anaheim, CA (Sports Network) - Jered Weaver tossed the ninth complete game of his career and was backed by a five-run fifth inning, as the Angels took a 6-3 decision over the Orioles in the second meeting of a three-game set.
Weaver (3-0) needed 114 pitches to finish off his gem, having allowed just five hits and three runs while fanning five.
Kendrys Morales and Erick Aybar each had two hits and drove in a run, while Bobby Abreu added a two-run single in the pivotal frame, sending the Angels to back-to-back wins for the first time this season.
Matt Wieters homered and drove in all three runs for Baltimore, which had won five of seven entering the series.
Both Weaver and his counterpart, Jake Arrieta (1-1), dominated the first four innings before beginning to look human in the fifth.
Weaver set down the first 12 batters he faced prior to Adam Jones beating out an infield single, and Wieters, on a 3-0 count, hammered one into the right- field bleachers for his fifth home run of the season.
Arrieta retired 12 in a row after Aybar's leadoff single, but the Angels got to him in their half of the fifth.
Mark Trumbo drove in the Los Angeles' first run by smacking an opposite-field single to right to bring in Torii Hunter. Two walks loaded the bases for Aybar, whose one-out single to left tied the game.
Abreu followed with a comebacker up the middle to bring in Maicer Izturis and Peter Bourjos, and Morales chased Arrieta with a run-scoring base hit to left.
Arrieta wound up getting charged with five runs on six hits and three walks in 4 1/3 innings.
Jones tripled and scored on a Wieters groundout in the seventh, but the Angels got the run back in the bottom half when Hunter's groundout scored Albert Pujols, who reached on Mark Reynolds's throwing error.
Weaver is 12-0 in 15 starts in March and April since 2010...Baltimore outfielder Nolan Reimold sat out due to lingering neck spasms...Pujols went 0- for-3 with a walk and remains homerless in his first 61 at-bats.
- BALTIMORE: 3
LOS ANGELES: 6
Apr 21 11:32 PM
- Torii Hunter grounded out short to first scored Albert Pujols. Runner on first with two outs and Alberto Callaspo due up.
Orioles 3, Angels 6 Bot 7, 2 OutsApr 21 11:07 PM
- Matt Wieters grounded out to first scored Adam Jones. None on with two outs and Nick Johnson due up.
Orioles 3, Angels 5 Top 7, 2 OutsApr 21 10:54 PM
- Kendrys Morales singled to left scored Erick Aybar. On the play, Albert Pujols advances to second and Bobby Abreu advances to third. Bases loaded with one out and Torii Hunter due up.
Orioles 2, Angels 5 Bot 5, 1 OutApr 21 10:31 PM
- Bobby Abreu singled to center scored Maicer Izturis and Peter Bourjos. On the play, Erick Aybar advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Albert Pujols due up.
Orioles 2, Angels 4 Bot 5, 1 OutApr 21 10:26 PM
- Erick Aybar singled to left scored Mark Trumbo. On the play, Peter Bourjos advances to second and Maicer Izturis advances to third. Bases loaded with one out and Bobby Abreu due up.
Orioles 2, Angels 2 Bot 5, 1 OutApr 21 10:25 PM
- Mark Trumbo singled to right scored Torii Hunter. Runner on first with none out and Maicer Izturis due up.
Orioles 2, Angels 1 Bot 5, 0 OutsApr 21 10:13 PM
- Matt Wieters none-out, two-run Home Run (5) to right scored Adam Jones. Nick Johnson due up.
Orioles 2, Angels 0 Top 5, 0 OutsApr 21 10:03 PM
- BALTIMORE: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 21 9:08 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Orioles power past Angels 9-4 on 4 homers May 21
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 21
- Angels starter Santiago ejected for gesturing to umpire May 20
- Tim Lincecum signs $2.5 million, 1-year deal with Angels May 20