Orioles beat Angels in 10, avoid sweepApr 23, 2012 - 4:24 AM Anaheim, CA (Sports Network) - Robert Andino scored the winning run in the top of the 10th inning to guide Baltimore to a 3-2 victory over the LA Angels in the finale of a three-game set.
Andino walked off LaTroy Hawkins (0-1) to start the 10th, moved to second on Endy Chavez's bunt and third on J.J. Hardy's groundout before coming home on Nick Markakis' sharp grounder off the glove of Angels second baseman Howie Kendrick.
Pedro Strop (2-1) allowed one run on one hit over two innings of relief to record the win. Jim Johnson worked around a one-out double in the 10th for his seventh save of the year as the Orioles salvaged a win after dropping the first two games of the series.
Baltimore finished off its 10-game road trip at 6-4.
"We had a succesful road trip for the most part, we'd like to have won all 10 of them," Orioles manager Buck Showalter said. "...Let's see if we can keep this thing moving."
Neither starter factored into the decision. Baltimore's Wei-Yin Chen, coming off his first major league win, scattered five hits while allowing one run on three walks with five strikeouts in 6 1/3 frames. Dan Haren is still searching for his first win of the year after allowing two runs on six hits and one walk with nine punchouts over 7 1/3 innings.
"Dan (Haren) pitched a gem. He really pitched well and maintained his stuff throughout and unfortunately we just couldn't give him enough support offensively," Angels manager Mike Scioscia said.
Markakis' bases-loaded liner to the opposite field off Scott Downs in the eighth spoiled what had to that point been a gem by Haren, as he plated Matt Wieters and Andino, each of whom singled against Haren before he was lifted.
Kendrick got one right back in the home half, driving a high fastball into the opposite-field seats in right-center for a 2-2 tie.
Albert Callaspo's bloop single in the home fourth scored Vernon Wells to stake Haren an early 1-0 lead.
Markakis drove in all three Oriole runs...It was the first extra-inning game of the year from the Angels...Baltimore returns to Camden Yards after a 10- game road trip for a three-game set with Toronto on Tuesday. Also on Tuesday, Los Angeles travels to Tampa Bay to open a three-game series.
- BALTIMORE: 3
LOS ANGELES: 2
Apr 22 6:48 PM
- Jim Johnson starts the inning for the Orioles.
Orioles 3, Angels 2 Bot 10, 0 OutsApr 22 6:40 PM
- Howie Kendrick one-out, solo Home Run (2) to right center. Albert Pujols due up.
Orioles 2, Angels 2 Bot 8, 1 OutApr 22 6:06 PM
- Nick Markakis singled to left scoring Robert Andino and Endy Chavez with two out. On the play, J.J. Hardy advances to third. Runners on first and third and Adam Jones due up.
Orioles 2, Angels 1 Top 8, 2 OutsApr 22 5:58 PM
- Alberto Callaspo singled to right scoring Vernon Wells with two out. Runner on first and Bobby Wilson due up.
Orioles 0, Angels 1 Bot 4, 2 OutsApr 22 4:45 PM
- BALTIMORE: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 22 3:37 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Orioles power past Angels 9-4 on 4 homers May 21
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 21
- Angels starter Santiago ejected for gesturing to umpire May 20
- Tim Lincecum signs $2.5 million, 1-year deal with Angels May 20