Orioles down Blue Jays, 2-1Apr 25, 2012 - 3:32 AM
Hunter (2-1) surrendered just three hits and three walks while striking out three and Pedro Strop worked around a one-out walk in the ninth to record his first career save.
"He seemed to attack the strike zone a little more," said Orioles manager Buck Showalter about Hunter's outing. "I was really proud that he got to the sixth inning with the pitch count he had. He's going to keep firing bullets."
Endy Chavez added a hit and a run scored for the O's, who improved to 3-1 against Toronto after taking two of three from the Jays earlier this season.
Hector Alvarez (0-2) was charged with both runs on five hits and two walks over seven innings for Toronto. Eric Thames had two hits, including a solo homer for the Blue Jays, who were coming off a four-game sweep of Kansas City.
The O's quickly loaded the bases in the first as Chavez hit a leadoff single, J.J. Hardy followed with a double off the left-field wall and Nick Markakis drew a walk.
Baltimore, though, would only get one run as Adam Jones' double-play groundout scored Chavez before Wieters grounded out to first to end the threat.
Thames got the run back for Toronto in the third, launching a leadoff homer to right field.
But Baltimore broke the tie in the fourth as Wieters lifted a towering flyball the other way to left field. Thames seemed to have a beat on it and made a leaping attempt at the wall, but the ball deflected off his glove and into the seats for a 2-1 O's lead.
"It was going to hit the top of the wall, I reached up to catch it and it hit off my glove and went into the seats," Thames said about Wieters' homer. "It's as simple as that."
Wednesday's matchup will feature righty Kyle Drabek taking the mound for Toronto against right-hander Jason Hammel for the O's...Toronto didn't register an at-bat with a runner in scoring position and left seven men on base...The Orioles went 0-for-3 with runners in scoring position and stranded four.
- TORONTO: 1
Apr 24 9:31 PM
- Matt Wieters one-out, solo Home Run (6) to left. Chris Davis due up.
Blue Jays 1, Orioles 2 Bot 4, 1 OutApr 24 8:11 PM
- Eric Thames lead-off Home Run (1) to right. Jeff Mathis due up.
Blue Jays 1, Orioles 1 Top 3, 0 OutsApr 24 7:46 PM
- Adam Jones grounded into a double play, short to second to first scoring Endy Chavez with two out. On the play, Nick Markakis out at second and J.J. Hardy advances to third. Runner on third and Matt Wieters due up.
Blue Jays 0, Orioles 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsApr 24 7:32 PM
- TORONTO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 24 7:08 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22