Eighth-inning HRs lift Orioles over JaysApr 27, 2012 - 2:34 AM
Nick Markakis finished with three hits and Ryan Flaherty added an RBI for the Orioles, who have won four straight overall
Darren O'Day (2-0) turned in two scoreless relief innings for the win. Starter Brian Matusz allowed four hits and a pair of unearned runs over six full frames.
Casey Janssen (1-1) was charged with two runs while recording just two outs for the Blue Jays, who had won four in a row prior to the series.
Drew Hutchison got the start, going five-plus frames and serving up six hits and two runs.
Jones kicked off the eighth with his sixth homer of the season. After Matt Wieters singled, Darren Oliver was called on but served up Davis' two-run shot which gave the Orioles a 5-2 advantage.
Luis Ayala worked around a single and walk in the ninth to earn his first save of the year.
The O's picked up the game's first run in the fifth, as Davis walked, moved to second when Mark Reynolds followed with a base hit, went to third on a Nick Johnson fly out and scores on Flaherty's sac fly to left.
Toronto picked up two in the sixth as Yunel Escobar led off with a hit, Jose Bautista walked with one out, and Thames scored both on a ball that Johnson misplayed into a three-base error.
But the hosts tied the game in the home half as Markakis swatted a leadoff double and scored on a Jones single compounded by an Escobar throwing error.
Baltimore failed to push across a run in the seventh despite runners on the corners with one out. Casey Janssen spelled Luis Perez, and retired the next two batters.
Baltimore improved to 5-1 against Toronto this season...By virtue of a no- decision, Matusz's losing streak remains at 12 decisions, dating back to June 6, 2011 against Oakland. It's the longest stretch of futility for an O's starter since Mike Boddicker lost 13 in a row from September 1987-May, 1988...This is the first four-game win streak for the Orioles since mid- September of last season...O's skipper Buck Showalter is now three wins shy of 1,000 for his career.
- TORONTO: 2
Apr 26 10:00 PM
- Chris Davis none-out, two-run Home Run (3) to right center scored Matt Wieters. Mark Reynolds due up.
Blue Jays 2, Orioles 5 Bot 8, 0 OutsApr 26 9:44 PM
- Adam Jones lead-off Home Run (6) to left. Matt Wieters due up.
Blue Jays 2, Orioles 3 Bot 8, 0 OutsApr 26 9:39 PM
- Adam Jones single to short scored Nick Markakis, advances to second on Yunel Escobar's throwing error. On the play, Nick Markakis advances to home. Runner on second with none out and Matt Wieters due up.
Blue Jays 2, Orioles 2 Bot 6, 0 OutsApr 26 8:56 PM
- Eric Thames triple to right scored Yunel Escobar and Jose Bautista. Runner on third with two outs and Ben Francisco due up.
Blue Jays 2, Orioles 1 Top 6, 2 OutsApr 26 8:48 PM
- Ryan Flaherty sacrifice fly to left scored Chris Davis. Runner on first with two outs and Nolan Reimold due up.
Blue Jays 0, Orioles 1 Bot 5, 2 OutsApr 26 8:31 PM
- TORONTO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 26 7:08 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22