Orioles down AthleticsApr 29, 2012 - 4:26 AM
Chen (2-0) scattered six hits and walked two with four strikeouts in the start. Adam Jones added three hits and scored three times and Ronny Paulino tallied two RBI for Baltimore, which has won five of its last six.
Tyson Ross (1-1) was charged for nine runs on 11 hits and one walk in four- plus innings to take the loss. Jonny Gomes accounted for the only Oakland run with a solo blast in the sixth as the A's saw their three-game winning streak halted.
"It's definitely a learning experience," said Ross. "I just have to take a look back and try to figure out what I did differently and try to just learn from it."
Baltimore got on the scoreboard in a big way with five runs in the bottom of the second inning.
Jones led off the frame with an infield single before Wilson Betemit and Davis each singled, with Davis' hit scoring Jones. A botched pickoff attempt from Kurt Suzuki moved Betemit and Davis to second and third, respectively, before Paulino plated two with a single to center field.
After a Ryan Flaherty ground out, Robert Andino stroked a single into center field, scoring Paulino for a 4-0 lead. Nolan Reimold followed with a single to center before J.J. Hardy's sacrifice fly scored Andino for the fifth run of the frame.
"It felt really good, especially when your pitcher runs into trouble in the first inning and then comes down and just mows them down the rest of the game," said Davis. "It was good for us to put some distance between us and give our bullpen a break."
The O's added another run in the third as Jones hit a leadoff single and came around to score on Betemit's double, giving Baltimore a 6-0 lead.
Baltimore continued to pour it on in the fifth as a leadoff walk to Hardy was followed by consecutive singles from Nick Markakis and Jones, with Jones plating Hardy for a 7-0 edge.
After Betemit grounded out, Davis lifted a single to right field, scoring Jones and Markakis to extend the margin to 9-0.
Oakland finally got on the board in the sixth on Gomes' solo blast, but Davis responded in the seventh with a solo shot to account for the final margin.
In a pregame ceremony behind the bullpens in left-center field, a larger-than- life-size bronze statue of Hall-of-Famer Frank Robinson was unveiled on the 56th anniversary of Robinson's first major league home run...The Orioles have won 56 consecutive games when allowing two or fewer runs...Sunday's series finale features two right-handers as Bartolo Colon toes the rubber for Oakland against Tommy Hunter.
- OAKLAND: 1
Apr 28 10:09 PM
- Chris Davis solo Home Run (4) to right with two outs. Ronny Paulino due up.
Athletics 1, Orioles 10 Bot 7, 2 OutsApr 28 9:44 PM
- Jonny Gomes solo Home Run (4) with one out. Kurt Suzuki due up.
Athletics 1, Orioles 9 Top 6, 1 OutApr 28 9:15 PM
- Chris Davis single to right scored Nick Markakis and Adam Jones with one out. Runner on first and Ronny Paulino due up.
Athletics 0, Orioles 9 Bot 5, 1 OutApr 28 9:11 PM
- Adam Jones single to center scored J.J. Hardy. On the play, Nick Markakis advances to second. Runners on first and second with none out and Wilson Betemit due up.
Athletics 0, Orioles 7 Bot 5, 0 OutsApr 28 8:58 PM
- Wilson Betemit double to left center scored Adam Jones. Wilson Betemit thrown out trying to advance to third. None on with one out and Chris Davis due up.
Athletics 0, Orioles 6 Bot 3, 1 OutApr 28 8:24 PM
- J.J. Hardy sacrifice fly to center scored Robert Andino. Runner on second with two outs and Nick Markakis due up.
Athletics 0, Orioles 5 Bot 2, 2 OutsApr 28 8:06 PM
- Robert Andino single to center scored Ronny Paulino. Runner on first with one out and Nolan Reimold due up.
Athletics 0, Orioles 4 Bot 2, 1 OutApr 28 8:03 PM
- Ronny Paulino single to center scored Wilson Betemit and Chris Davis. Ronny Paulino advances to second on the throw. Runner on second with none out and Ryan Flaherty due up.
Athletics 0, Orioles 3 Bot 2, 0 OutsApr 28 7:59 PM
- Chris Davis single to left scored Adam Jones. On the play, Wilson Betemit advances to second. Runners on first and second with none out and Ronny Paulino due up.
Athletics 0, Orioles 1 Bot 2, 0 OutsApr 28 7:57 PM
- OAKLAND: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 28 7:16 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21