Arrieta shuts down Yanks, O's take seriesMay 3, 2012 - 7:31 AM New York Yankees in a 5-0 win.
Arrieta (2-2) didn't allow a walk, throwing 76 of his 111 pitches for strikes, and Jim Johnson pitched a perfect ninth inning to finish off the shutout.
Matt Wieters and Nick Markakis hit solo homers for the Orioles, who won the last two of the three-game series after starting the season 0-4 against the Yankees.
"It's nice to beat teams in your division and be able to gain that full game," Arrieta said.
New York starter Ivan Nova (3-1) was knocked around for five runs and nine hits in 6 1/3 innings to take his first loss in five starts this season.
"I just made bad pitches and location, that's why I got hit," Nova said.
Yankees third baseman Eric Chavez was taken out of the game during an at-bat in the fifth inning with whiplash and a possible concussion. He was replaced by pinch-hitter Eduardo Nunez.
Chavez had hit the ground hard diving for J.J. Hardy's double down the line leading off the top of the inning and was seen grasping the left side of his jaw in the dugout. The Yankees said he would undergo further tests.
The Orioles loaded the bases with two outs in the first inning, but Nova escaped the jam.
Wieters then led off the fourth inning with his seventh homer of the season, knocking Nova's 2-0 changeup over the wall in right field to make it 1-0.
Alex Rodriguez's singles in the first and fourth innings were the only hits allowed by Arrieta during that span.
The Orioles pushed their lead to 2-0 on Robert Andino's RBI single in the sixth inning to score Chris Davis, who had drawn a leadoff walk then gone to third on a wild pitch and Nick Johnson's ground out.
Baltimore knocked Nova out of the game during a three-run rally in the seventh inning.
Markakis hammered his third homer of the season into the second deck past right field and Wieters chased Nova with an RBI double. Nick Johnson added an RBI single off Clay Rapada to make it 5-0.
The Orioles, who have won eight of their last 10, continue a six-game road trip with a weekend series in Boston starting Friday...The Yankees have lost five of eight and will start a four-game series against the Royals in Kansas City on Thursday.
- BALTIMORE: 5
NEW YORK: 0
May 2 10:07 PM
- Nick Johnson single to center scored Matt Wieters with two outs. Runner on first and Mark Reynolds due up.
Orioles 5, Yankees 0 Top 7, 2 OutsMay 2 9:14 PM
- Matt Wieters double to right center scored Adam Jones with one out. Runner on second and Chris Davis due up.
Orioles 4, Yankees 0 Top 7, 1 OutMay 2 9:09 PM
- Nick Markakis one-out, solo Home Run (3) to right. Adam Jones due up.
Orioles 3, Yankees 0 Top 7, 1 OutMay 2 9:02 PM
- Robert Andino infield single to short scored Chris Davis with one out. On the play, Mark Reynolds advances to second. Runners on first and second and Endy Chavez due up.
Orioles 2, Yankees 0 Top 6, 1 OutMay 2 8:48 PM
- Matt Wieters lead-off Home Run (7) to right. Chris Davis due up.
Orioles 1, Yankees 0 Top 4, 0 OutsMay 2 8:00 PM
- BALTIMORE: 0
NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 2 7:09 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21