Davis lifts O's over Red Sox in 13 inningsMay 5, 2012 - 6:33 AM
Mark Reynolds added a sacrifice fly to score the second run in the 13th as the Orioles won their third straight game to go 9-2 in their last 11.
Reynolds also hit a solo homer earlier in the game. Troy Patton (1-0) pitched two innings for the win and Jim Johnson threw a perfect 13th for his eighth save of the season.
The Baltimore bullpen pitched eight scoreless innings in relief of rookie Wei- Yin Chen, who gave up four runs -- three earned -- in five innings.
"I feel like those guys are feeding off each other, continuing to put up zeroes and are having good outings," Patton said about the bullpen.
Red Sox starter Jon Lester allowed three runs on five hits and three walks in six innings and left with a 4-3 lead.
"It was good enough to win," said Boston manager Bobby Valentine, but Vicente Padilla coughed Lester's lead up in the seventh.
Adrian Gonzalez had three hits and scored a run for Boston, which has dropped three in a row.
Matt Wieters hit a one-out single off Franklin Morales (0-1) in the 13th and Wilson Betemit walked to bring up Davis, who stroked his base hit through the right side. Reynolds hit his sac fly off Scott Atchison, who relieved Morales.
Hours earlier, Cody Ross led off the second inning with a triple and scored on a passed ball that hit off Orioles catcher Ronny Paulino's glove, giving the Red Sox a 1-0 lead.
The Orioles tied the game on Reynolds' long homer leading off the third, his first of the season, which cleared the seats above the Green Monster.
Gonzalez sparked a two-run rally in the bottom of the third with a leadoff single. He went to third on Dustin Pedroia's double and scored on David Ortiz's ground out and Pedroia came home on Ross' sacrifice fly.
The Orioles tied it in the fourth, sparked by Adam Jones' leadoff walk and Wieters' triple for the first run. Wieters then scored on Betemit's single to make it 3-3.
The Red Sox moved back in front in the fifth after Will Middlebrooks led off with a double, went to third on Gonzalez's fly out and scored on a line-drive single up the middle by Pedroia.
Padilla relieved Lester to start the seventh and gave up the lead when J.J. Hardy grounded into a bases loaded double play to score Reynolds, who had led off with a double.
The Red Sox wasted a pinch-hit single by Ryan Sweeney in the ninth inning and stranded runners at first and second in the 10th. Gonzalez was stranded after hitting a single in the 12th.
The Orioles won four of the last five meetings last season...Chen struck out four and Lester fanned two...The Orioles placed left fielder Nolan Reimold on the 15-day disabled list with a herniated disc, retroactive to Tuesday, and called up catcher Luis Exposito from Triple-A Norfolk for his major league debut.
- BALTIMORE: 6
May 4 11:49 PM
- Mark Reynolds sacrifice fly to center scored Wilson Betemit with two out. Runner on first and Luis Exposito due up.
Orioles 6, Red Sox 4 Top 13, 2 OutsMay 4 11:42 PM
- Chris Davis singled to right scoring Matt Wieters with one out. On the play, Wilson Betemit advances to third. Runners on first and third with Mark Reynolds due up.
Orioles 5, Red Sox 4 Top 13, 1 OutMay 4 11:38 PM
- J.J. Hardy double-play groundout scored Mark Reynolds. Robert Andino out at second. Ronny Paulino advances to third. Runner on third with two outs and Nick Markakis due up.
Orioles 4, Red Sox 4 Top 7, 2 OutsMay 4 9:34 PM
- Dustin Pedroia singled to center scoring Will Middlebrooks with one out. Runner on first and David Ortiz due up.
Orioles 3, Red Sox 4 Bot 5, 1 OutMay 4 8:59 PM
- Wilson Betemit singled to center scoring Matt Wieters with none out. Runner on first and Chris Davis due up.
Orioles 3, Red Sox 3 Top 4, 0 OutsMay 4 8:30 PM
- Matt Wieters tripled to right scoring Adam Jones with none out. Runner on third and Wilson Betemit due up.
Orioles 2, Red Sox 3 Top 4, 0 OutsMay 4 8:28 PM
- Cody Ross sacrifice fly to left scored Dustin Pedroia with two out. None on and Darnell McDonald due up.
Orioles 1, Red Sox 3 Bot 3, 2 OutsMay 4 8:19 PM
- Mark Reynolds lead-off Home Run (1) to left. Ronny Paulino due up.
Orioles 1, Red Sox 1 Top 3, 0 OutsMay 4 7:56 PM
- Will Middlebrooks grounded into a fielder's choice, third to second. On the play, Mike Aviles out at second to end the inning.
Orioles 0, Red Sox 1 End 2May 4 7:53 PM
- BALTIMORE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 4 7:11 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Boston's Bradley extends hitting streak to 27 games May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21