Rangers dominate OriolesMay 8, 2012 - 2:04 AM
Matt Harrison (4-2) allowed three runs on six hits and a walk over seven frames. Michael Young and Josh Hamilton each smacked two-run homers while Nelson Cruz finished with three hits and three runs scored to help the Rangers earn their second win in three tries.
Brian Matusz (1-4) surrendered seven runs on 10 hits and two walks over five- plus innings of work. Wilson Betemit crushed a two-run homer and Robert Andino added a solo blast, but the O's saw their five-game win streak come to an end.
"He never really got into a good rhythm," said Baltimore manager Buck Showalter about Matusz. "It's a good right-handed hitting lineup and they squared up a lot of balls off him."
Adrian Beltre worked a four-pitch walk to start the second and Cruz followed two batters later with a double the other way to put runners on second and third with one out.
Mike Napoli then flew out to shallow left, but Snyder picked him up with a liner into center field, plating Beltre and Cruz for a 2-0 lead.
Ian Kinsler started the third with a single and Elvis Andrus followed with a double before Hamilton walked to load the bases with no outs. A sacrifice fly from Young two batters later scored Kinsler before Matusz fanned Cruz to end the threat with minimal damage.
In the sixth, Young, Cruz and Napoli smacked consecutive singles to start the frame, with Napoli's plating Young for a 4-0 lead. Snyder then launched a three-run blast over the wall in right-center field, extending the margin to 7-0 with no outs in the sixth and marking the end of Matusz's day.
Andino got the O's on the board in the sixth with a solo shot and Betemit tacked on a two-run blast in the seventh to make it a 7-3 game.
But Texas blew the game open in the ninth as Young and Hamilton each launched two-run blasts and Andrus added a run-scoring double in a seven-run inning that found the Rangers holding a 14-3 lead.
Harrison improved to 4-0 lifetime against the Orioles...Texas has now won six straight against the O's after taking the final five in 2011...Baltimore's Matt Wieters extended his hit streak to eight games with a single in the seventh.
- TEXAS: 14
May 7 9:43 PM
- Josh Hamilton two-out, two-run Home Run (10) to center scored Elvis Andrus. David Murphy due up.
Rangers 14, Orioles 3 Top 9, 2 OutsMay 7 9:35 PM
- Elvis Andrus doubled to right scoring Brandon Snyder. Runner on second with two outs and Josh Hamilton due up.
Rangers 12, Orioles 3 Top 9, 2 OutsMay 7 9:34 PM
- Ian Kinsler grounded into a double play, third to second to first scoring Mike Napoli. Craig Gentry out at second. Brandon Snyder advances to third. Runner on third with two outs and Elvis Andrus due up.
Rangers 11, Orioles 3 Top 9, 2 OutsMay 7 9:32 PM
- Brandon Snyder singled to left scoring Nelson Cruz. On the play, Mike Napoli advances to second. Runners on first and second with none out and Craig Gentry due up.
Rangers 10, Orioles 3 Top 9, 0 OutsMay 7 9:28 PM
- Michael Young none-out, two-run Home Run (3) to left center scored pinch-runner David Murphy. Nelson Cruz due up.
Rangers 9, Orioles 3 Top 9, 0 OutsMay 7 9:23 PM
- Wilson Betemit two-out, two-run Home Run (4) to right scored Matt Wieters. Chris Davis due up.
Rangers 7, Orioles 3 Bot 7, 2 OutsMay 7 9:01 PM
- Robert Andino two-out, solo Home Run (3) to left center. J.J. Hardy due up.
Rangers 7, Orioles 1 Bot 6, 2 OutsMay 7 8:43 PM
- Brandon Snyder none-out, three-run Home Run (2) to center scored Nelson Cruz and Mike Napoli. Craig Gentry due up.
Rangers 7, Orioles 0 Top 6, 0 OutsMay 7 8:30 PM
- Michael Young sacrifice fly out to right scored Ian Kinsler. On the play, Elvis Andrus advances to third. Runners on first and third and with two outs and Nelson Cruz due up.
Rangers 3, Orioles 0 Top 3, 2 OutsMay 7 7:48 PM
- Craig Gentry popped out to second to end the inning.
Rangers 2, Orioles 0 Mid 2May 7 7:30 PM
- TEXAS: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 7 7:09 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22