Zobrist helps Rays avoid sweep against O'sMay 13, 2012 - 11:56 PM
Elliot Johnson went deep in front of Zobrist in the eighth for Tampa Bay, which avoided being swept in Baltimore for the first time since July 24-26, 2007.
Nick Markakis doubled twice and knocked in three for the Orioles.
The Rays scored three runs in the second and fourth innings against Baltimore starting pitcher Jake Arrieta (2-4) en route to taking a 7-1 lead.
"Jake's capable of better and that's what frustrates him somewhat," said Baltimore manager Buck Showalter.
The Orioles put up a three-spot in the sixth, with J.J. Hardy and Markakis hitting back-to-back doubles and Matt Wieters launching a home run to right- center.
Tampa Bay starter James Shields (6-1) couldn't make it out of the seventh. Robert Andino began the frame with a single and Ryan Flaherty reached on a throwing error. After striking out Xavier Avery, who made his major league debut, Shields was replaced by Burke Badenhop. Hardy then grounded into a fielder's choice and scored along with Andino when Markakis doubled off Jake McGee.
After Johnson, who opened the scoring with an RBI single, and Zobrist slugged back-to-back homers, Nick Johnson responded with a solo home run in the bottom of the eighth.
Fernando Rodney came on to protect Tampa Bay's 9-7 lead in the ninth and gave up a leadoff single to Flaherty, who was erased at second on a fielder's choice after pinch-hitter Wilson Betemit struck out swinging in front of Hardy.
Markakis then walked and Adam Jones hit a slow ground ball that was fielded by Sean Rodriguez. The third baseman's throw deflected off Carlos Pena's glove at first, allowing Hardy to score. However, the Rays prevailed, snapping their three-game losing streak, and Rodney notched his 10th save when Wieters grounded out to third.
"[The back-to-back homers] helped give us a little bit of breathing room going into the ninth and it turned out we really needed it," Zobrist said.
Pena slapped a two-run double, while Will Rhymes and Matt Joyce also knocked in runs for Tampa Bay...The Rays were 5-for-17 with runners in scoring position...Tampa Bay improved to 8-3 in series finales this season...Rodriguez struck out in his lone at-bat to halt his hitting streak at 10 games...Shields gave up six runs -- four earned -- on seven hits...Arrieta was tagged for seven runs and 10 hits in 3 2/3 innings...The Orioles have lost six straight games on Mother's Day.
- TAMPA BAY: 9
May 13 5:01 PM
- Nick Johnson one-out, solo Home Run (2) to right. Chris Davis due up.
Rays 9, Orioles 7 Bot 8, 1 OutMay 13 4:35 PM
- Ben Zobrist one-out, solo Home Run (5) to left center. B.J. Upton due up.
Rays 9, Orioles 6 Top 8, 1 OutMay 13 4:21 PM
- Elliot Johnson one-out, solo Home Run (2) to left. Ben Zobrist due up.
Rays 8, Orioles 6 Top 8, 1 OutMay 13 4:20 PM
- Nick Markakis doubled to center scored Robert Andino and J.J. Hardy. Runner on second with two outs and Adam Jones due up.
Rays 7, Orioles 6 Bot 7, 2 OutsMay 13 4:12 PM
- Matt Wieters two-out, two-run Home Run (8) to right center scored Nick Markakis. Nick Johnson due up.
Rays 7, Orioles 4 Bot 6, 2 OutsMay 13 3:37 PM
- Nick Markakis doubled to left scored J.J. Hardy. Runner on second with one out and Adam Jones due up.
Rays 7, Orioles 2 Bot 6, 1 OutMay 13 3:30 PM
- Carlos Pena doubled to right scored Ben Zobrist and Matt Joyce. Runner on second with two outs and Jeff Keppinger due up.
Rays 7, Orioles 1 Top 4, 2 OutsMay 13 2:53 PM
- Matt Joyce singled to right scored Elliot Johnson. On the play, Ben Zobrist advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Luke Scott due up.
Rays 5, Orioles 1 Top 4, 1 OutMay 13 2:47 PM
- Will Rhymes singled to center scored Carlos Pena. Runner on first with two outs and Chris Gimenez due up.
Rays 4, Orioles 1 Top 3, 2 OutsMay 13 2:28 PM
- Chris Davis infield single to short scored Matt Wieters. Runner on first with one out and Robert Andino due up.
Rays 3, Orioles 1 Bot 2, 1 OutMay 13 2:19 PM
- Ben Zobrist doubled to center scored Chris Gimenez and Elliot Johnson. Runner on second with one out and B.J. Upton due up.
Rays 3, Orioles 0 Top 2, 1 OutMay 13 2:09 PM
- Elliot Johnson singled to right scored Jeff Keppinger. On the play, Chris Gimenez advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Ben Zobrist due up.
Rays 1, Orioles 0 Top 2, 1 OutMay 13 2:07 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 13 1:39 PM
- Rays' Kiermaier expected to miss 8-10 weeks with broken hand May 23
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Kiermaier breaks hand, Rays fall to Tigers 5-4 May 21