Yankees rally past OriolesMay 15, 2012 - 5:18 AM
Curtis Granderson also homered and Alex Rodriguez had three hits in New York's fourth win in five games.
Derek Jeter grounded into two double plays but also passed Robin Yount for 16th place on the all-time hits list with a single in the third inning, his 3,143rd hit.
J.J. Hardy had a two-run homer for the Orioles, who have dropped two in a row.
The Yankees were just 1-for-11 with runners in scoring position but managed to plate seven runs between the fourth and seventh innings to take the lead.
They loaded the bases with no outs in the sixth to chase Orioles starter Jason Hammel. Robinson Cano led off with a double while Teixeira and Nick Swisher both drew walks. Two runs scored when Raul Ibanez, batting against Luis Ayala (1-1), hit the ball past first baseman Chris Davis, who was charged with an error.
Ayala stayed on for the seventh and took the loss after Rodriguez hit a leadoff single in front of Teixeira's one-out homer to right for a 7-5 Yankees lead.
The Yankees added a run in the ninth inning on Eric Chavez's bases-loaded sac fly off Dana Eveland and Rafael Soriano worked around a Chavez error -- he let Nick Markakis' pop up drop behind third base -- to earn his second save.
"That was a huge home run for us to put us ahead 7-5," Yankees manager Joe Girardi said about Teixeira's blast. "To get that two-run homer I thought was really important and then we tacked on one with some good at-bats late in the game."
Hammel allowed five runs -- four earned -- on seven hits and three walks while Yankees starter Ivan Nova gave up five runs on seven his and three walks in 5 1/3 innings.
David Phelps (1-1) earned the win with a scoreless inning.
Xavier Avery sparked Baltimore's two-run first inning with a leadoff double, his first major league hit, and scored on Hardy's single. Hardy went to second on a ground out and came home on Adam Jones' double.
Rodriguez and Cano hit back-to-back singles to start the fourth inning and both scored on Swisher's one-out double to the left-center field wall to tie the game at 2-2.
After Jeter grounded into a double play in the fifth, Granderson blasted his 12th homer of the season over the wall in right for a 3-2 lead.
The Orioles came back to take a 5-3 lead in the bottom of the fifth, sparked by Robert Andino's leadoff walk and Avery's RBI triple. The big blast was Hardy's ninth homer of the season, a two-run shot to left-center field.
"We took the lead again. We just couldn't hold on to it," said Orioles manager Buck Showalter.
The Yankees are 5-2 against the Orioles this season...Major League Baseball suspended Orioles prospect Billy Rowell 50 games on Monday for a second violation of the league's drug prevention and treatment program. Rowell was the club's top selection in the 2006 first-year player draft...Ibanez left the game after being hit on the right elbow by Eveland in the ninth...Jeter had passed Tony Gwynn on Sunday. Paul Waner is 15th on the list with 3,152 hits...Nova's loss May 2 to the Orioles ended his 15-decision winning streak dating to last June.
- NEW YORK: 8
May 14 11:01 PM
- Eric Chavez sacrifice fly out to center scored Mark Teixeira. On the play, Nick Swisher advances to third. Runners on first and third and with two outs and Russell Martin due up.
Yankees 8, Orioles 5 Top 9, 2 OutsMay 14 10:47 PM
- Mark Teixeira one-out, two-run Home Run (5) to right scored Alex Rodriguez. Nick Swisher due up.
Yankees 7, Orioles 5 Top 7, 1 OutMay 14 9:52 PM
- Eric Chavez popped out to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Russell Martin due up.
Yankees 5, Orioles 5 Top 6, 1 OutMay 14 9:17 PM
- J.J. Hardy none-out, two-run Home Run (9) to left center scored Xavier Avery. Nick Markakis due up.
Yankees 3, Orioles 5 Bot 5, 0 OutsMay 14 8:55 PM
- Xavier Avery tripled to right scored Robert Andino. Runner on third with none out and J.J. Hardy due up.
Yankees 3, Orioles 3 Bot 5, 0 OutsMay 14 8:52 PM
- Curtis Granderson two-out, solo Home Run (12) to right. Alex Rodriguez due up.
Yankees 3, Orioles 2 Top 5, 2 OutsMay 14 8:43 PM
- Raul Ibanez grounded out to first. On the play, Nick Swisher advances to third. Runner on third with two outs and Eric Chavez due up.
Yankees 2, Orioles 2 Top 4, 2 OutsMay 14 8:24 PM
- Adam Jones doubled to center scored J.J. Hardy. Runner on second with one out and Matt Wieters due up.
Yankees 0, Orioles 2 Bot 1, 1 OutMay 14 7:35 PM
- J.J. Hardy singled to center scored Xavier Avery. Runner on first with none out and Nick Markakis due up.
Yankees 0, Orioles 1 Bot 1, 0 OutsMay 14 7:32 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 14 7:19 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21