Red Sox top Orioles in openerMay 22, 2012 - 4:34 AM
Daniel Nava and Mike Aviles both tallied two hits, an RBI and a run scored, while David Ortiz launched a solo homer for the Red Sox, who have won three straight.
Andrew Miller (1-0) celebrated his 27th birthday with a victory after tossing 1 2/3 scoreless innings in relief of starter Clay Buchholz, who allowed five runs on six hits and four walks in 5 1/3 innings.
Alfredo Aceves retired the O's in order in the ninth for his 10th save of the season.
Kevin Gregg (2-2) took the loss for giving up two runs on three hits and a walk in the top of the seventh. Chris Davis belted a solo shot in defeat as the O's dropped their second straight.
"The way the ball was coming out and the location of the pitches, they were good pitches," said Gregg. "Sometimes you give up hits on pitches that you're happy with."
With the game knotted at 5-5 in the seventh, Aviles singled with one out and Dustin Pedroia followed with a double into right before Gregg intentionally walked Ortiz.
Adrian Gonzalez then broke the scoreless tie with a sac fly to left before Middlebrooks' single to center gave Boston a 7-5 lead.
Miller then retired the O's in order in the seventh before the Sox added some insurance in the eighth.
Che-Hsuan Lin singled with two outs and Aviles reached first as Troy Patton's third strike was wild, allowing Aviles to scamper to first.
Pedroia then lifted a single into left field to score Lin but Baltimore answered in the bottom half on Matt Wieters' RBI single to pull within 8-6.
Earlier in the game, Nava singled to start the third and Marlon Byrd followed with ground-rule double that hopped into the seats in left-center field.
"We're going to play hard every night," remarked Pedroia. "We've won a lot of games here lately. We've been playing good ball as of late, we just have to keep it going."
Aviles lined a single back up the middle to score Nava and Pedroia plated Byrd with a sac fly to right as the Red Sox jumped out to a 2-0 lead.
Baltimore responded in the bottom half as Wilson Betemit stroked a leadoff single, Nick Johnson coaxed a walk and Robert Andino loaded the bases with a bunt single down the third-base line.
A walk to Xavier Avery scored Betemit before J.J. Hardy legged out an infield single behind the bag at second to pull the O's even.
Nick Markakis then walked to give Baltimore a 3-2 lead and Adam Jones' double- play groundout made it a two-run difference.
Davis extended the lead to 5-2 with his homer in the fourth but the visitors battled back in the sixth as Ortiz launched a leadoff blast deep to right.
Gonzalez then doubled and Middlebrooks followed with a single before a groundout from Jarrod Saltalamacchia moved both runners up and Nava lifted a sac fly to center to score Gonzalez.
Middlebrooks then crossed home as Tommy Hunter was called for a balk to knot the game at 5-5.
The Red Sox were swept in three games at home by the Orioles on May 4-6...The Boston Red Sox announced on Monday that outfielder Cody Ross is out indefinitely with a small fracture in his left foot...Lin's single in the eighth was his first major league hit...Jones extended his hit-streak to 13 games with a single in the eighth.
- BOSTON: 8
May 21 10:22 PM
- Matt Wieters single to left scored Nick Markakis. On the play, Adam Jones advances to second. Runners on first and second with none out and Chris Davis due up.
Red Sox 8, Orioles 6 Bot 8, 0 OutsMay 21 9:54 PM
- Dustin Pedroia single to left scored Che-Hsuan Lin. On the play, Mike Aviles advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and David Ortiz due up.
Red Sox 8, Orioles 5 Top 8, 2 OutsMay 21 9:42 PM
- Jarrod Saltalamacchia struck out swinging to end the inning.
Red Sox 7, Orioles 5 Mid 7May 21 9:22 PM
- Adrian Gonzalez sacrifice fly to left scored Mike Aviles. Runners on first and second with two outs and Will Middlebrooks due up.
Red Sox 6, Orioles 5 Top 7, 2 OutsMay 21 9:18 PM
- Tommy Hunter's balk scored Will Middlebrooks. None on with two outs and Marlon Byrd at the plate.
Red Sox 5, Orioles 5 Top 6, 2 OutsMay 21 8:53 PM
- Daniel Nava sacrifice fly to center scored Adrian Gonzalez. On the play, Will Middlebrooks advances to third. Runner on third with two outs and Marlon Byrd due up.
Red Sox 4, Orioles 5 Top 6, 2 OutsMay 21 8:51 PM
- David Ortiz lead-off Home Run (10) to right. Adrian Gonzalez due up.
Red Sox 3, Orioles 5 Top 6, 0 OutsMay 21 8:41 PM
- Chris Davis lead-off Home Run (6) to center. Wilson Betemit due up.
Red Sox 2, Orioles 5 Bot 4, 0 OutsMay 21 8:19 PM
- Adam Jones grounded into a double play, short to second to first scored Xavier Avery. On the play, Nick Markakis out at second J.J. Hardy advances to third. Runner on third with two outs and Matt Wieters due up.
Red Sox 2, Orioles 4 Bot 3, 2 OutsMay 21 8:06 PM
- Nick Markakis walk scored Robert Andino. Bases loaded with none out and Adam Jones due up.
Red Sox 2, Orioles 3 Bot 3, 0 OutsMay 21 8:04 PM
- J.J. Hardy infield single to short scored Nick Johnson. On the play, Xavier Avery advances to second and Robert Andino advances to third. Bases loaded with none out and Nick Markakis due up.
Red Sox 2, Orioles 2 Bot 3, 0 OutsMay 21 8:02 PM
- Xavier Avery walk scored Wilson Betemit. Bases loaded with none out and J.J. Hardy due up.
Red Sox 2, Orioles 1 Bot 3, 0 OutsMay 21 8:00 PM
- Dustin Pedroia sacrifice fly to right scored Marlon Byrd. Runner on first with two outs and David Ortiz due up.
Red Sox 2, Orioles 0 Top 3, 2 OutsMay 21 7:41 PM
- Mike Aviles single to center scored Daniel Nava. On the play, Marlon Byrd advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Dustin Pedroia due up.
Red Sox 1, Orioles 0 Top 3, 1 OutMay 21 7:38 PM
- BOSTON: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 21 7:06 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Boston's Bradley extends hitting streak to 27 games May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21