Twins trample Orioles 19-7Jul 17, 2012 - 4:54 AM
Denard Span did the most damage with the bat, going 3-for-5 with five RBI, while Ben Revere had four hits and three RBI with a run scored. Joe Mauer smoked a solo home run to account for one of his two RBI and Ryan Doumit brought home a pair for the Twins, who snapped a five-game slide. Justin Morneau added four hits and an RBI in the victory.
"We definitely needed a win like that," Span said. "We didn't play too well against Oakland and I think we were due for a huge win like that. It was just an all-around good game for us. We were definitely due for that."
Scott Diamond (8-3) allowed five runs on nine hits and a walk with three strikeouts over six innings to earn the win. Anthony Swarzak and Matt Capps closed out the blow-out win for the Twins.
Chris Tillman (1-1) was rocked for seven runs -- one earned -- on five hits and two walks in just two-thirds of an inning to take the loss.
Mark Reynolds smoked a three-run home run and Endy Chavez added a two-run shot for the O's, who have dropped five of their last six games.
The Twins exploded out of the gate, putting up seven runs in their first at- bat to take control of the game early.
Revere started the inning with a double and came around to score on a single by Mauer. Morneau doubled two batters later and Trevor Plouffe walked to load the bases with two outs. Doumit slapped one down the first base line that skipped under the glove of Reynolds, allowing Mauer and Morneau to score. Brian Dozier followed with a run-scoring single to make it 4-0, and Span capped the big inning with a bases-clearing double into the right-center field gap, giving the Twins the huge cushion.
"He struggled tonight. He's done that before," O's manager Buck Showalter said. "It's a lot more than just a mechanical thing, but his arm strength was good. If we make a couple plays behind him, it probably doesn't turn out like that."
Wilson Betemit got the O's on the board in the second with a run-scoring single, but Minnesota got the run right back in the home half on a long solo shot into the right field seats by Mauer, extending the lead to 8-1.
Adam Jones laced a one-out double into the left-center gap in the third and came around to score on a sharp single to shortstop by Reynolds, cutting the deficit to six, but, again, the Twins got it back in the home portion of the inning.
Dozier and Doumit quickly made the first two outs of the frame before Jamey Carroll drew a walk. Span followed with a free pass and both runners advanced on a balk before Revere brought everyone home with a base hit to make it 10-2.
Josh Willingham drew a one-out walk in the fourth and came around to score later in the inning on a fielder's choice by Plouffe to extend the lead to 11-2.
Nick Markakis started the O's fifth with a single and Jones added a base hit two batters later before Reynolds got a hold of a high fastball from Diamond and drilled it into the left field seats for a three-run shot, cutting the deficit to 11-5.
In the sixth, Morneau doubled home Josh Willingham and scored via a Doumit sacrifice fly. Carroll capped the frame with a run-scoring base hit back through the box to make it a 14-5 game.
The Twins plated five more runs in the eighth. Doumit picked up his second RBI of the game with a groundout and Carroll brought home Plouffe with a base hit before Span smoked a double down the line in right to score a pair. Revere capped the inning with a single to score Span, making it a 19-5 game.
Chavez ripped a fastball from Matt Capps over the wall in center field to account for the final score.
The O's fell to 13-10 against left-handed starters this season...The Orioles announced on Monday that second baseman Robert Andino suffered a left shoulder strain and will miss the next 3-4 weeks of action...19 runs was the Twins highest offensive output in one game since they put up 19 runs against the Kansas City Royals on July 26, 2010...The Twins went 9-for-15 with runners in scoring position and stranded five, while the Orioles finished 5-for-14 with men in scoring position and left six on base...Plouffe (2-for-4) extended his career-best hitting streak to 14 games.
- BALTIMORE: 7
Jul 16 11:34 PM
- Endy Chavez one-out, two-run Home Run (2) to right scored Steve Tolleson. Ryan Flaherty due up.
Orioles 7, Twins 19 Top 9, 1 OutJul 16 11:33 PM
- Ben Revere singled to center scoring Denard Span with one out. Runner on first and Joe Mauer due up.
Orioles 5, Twins 19 Bot 8, 1 OutJul 16 11:22 PM
- Denard Span doubled to right scoring Brian Dozier and Jamey Carroll with one out. Runner on second and Ben Revere due up.
Orioles 5, Twins 18 Bot 8, 1 OutJul 16 11:18 PM
- Jamey Carroll singled to right scoring Trevor Plouffe with one out. On the play, Brian Dozier advances to third. Jamey Carroll advances to second on the throw to third. Runners on second and third and Denard Span due up.
Orioles 5, Twins 16 Bot 8, 1 OutJul 16 11:16 PM
- Ryan Doumit grounded out to first scoring Justin Morneau with one out. On the play, Trevor Plouffe advances to third. Runner on third and Brian Dozier due up.
Orioles 5, Twins 15 Bot 8, 1 OutJul 16 11:14 PM
- Jamey Carroll singled to center scoring Trevor Plouffe with two outs. Runner on first and Denard Span due up.
Orioles 5, Twins 14 Bot 6, 2 OutsJul 16 10:38 PM
- Ryan Doumit's sacrifice fly out to center scores Justin Morneau with one out. On the play, Trevor Plouffe advances to second. Runner on second with one out and Brian Dozier due up.
Orioles 5, Twins 13 Bot 6, 1 OutJul 16 10:35 PM
- Justin Morneau doubled to center scoring Josh Willingham with none out. Runner on second and Trevor Plouffe due up.
Orioles 5, Twins 12 Bot 6, 0 OutsJul 16 10:31 PM
- Mark Reynolds two-out, three-run Home Run (8) to left scored Nick Markakis and Adam Jones. Steve Pearce due up.
Orioles 5, Twins 11 Top 5, 2 OutsJul 16 10:06 PM
- Trevor Plouffe grounded into a fielder's choice, short to second, scoring Josh Willingham with one out. Justin Morneau out at second. Runner on first and Ryan Doumit due up.
Orioles 2, Twins 11 Bot 4, 1 OutJul 16 9:53 PM
- Ben Revere singled to short scoring Jamey Carroll and Denard Span with two outs. Runner on first and Joe Mauer due up.
Orioles 2, Twins 10 Bot 3, 2 OutsJul 16 9:38 PM
- Ryan Doumit popped out to third. None on with one out and Brian Dozier due up.
Orioles 2, Twins 8 Bot 3, 1 OutJul 16 9:28 PM
- Joe Mauer hits a lead-off Home Run (6) to right. Josh Willingham due up.
Orioles 1, Twins 8 Bot 2, 0 OutsJul 16 9:03 PM
- Steve Tolleson grounded out short to first to end the inning.
Orioles 1, Twins 7 Mid 2Jul 16 8:59 PM
- Denard Span doubled to right center scoring Ryan Doumit, Brian Dozier and Jamey Carroll with two outs. Runner on second and Ben Revere due up.
Orioles 0, Twins 7 Bot 1, 2 OutsJul 16 8:45 PM
- Jamey Carroll walked. Bases loaded with two outs and Denard Span due up.
Orioles 0, Twins 4 Bot 1, 2 OutsJul 16 8:43 PM
- Ryan Doumit reached first on Mark Reynolds's fielding error scoring Joe Mauer and Justin Morneau with two outs. On the play, Trevor Plouffe advances to third. Runners on first and third and Brian Dozier due up.
Orioles 0, Twins 3 Bot 1, 2 OutsJul 16 8:41 PM
- Josh Willingham struck out swinging. Runner on first with two outs and Justin Morneau due up.
Orioles 0, Twins 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsJul 16 8:29 PM
- BALTIMORE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 16 8:11 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Perkins slowing down rehab in return from shoulder strain May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22