Reynolds helps Orioles beat TwinsJul 19, 2012 - 10:38 PM
Matt Wieters and Wilson Betemit worked back-to-back walks before both runners advanced one base on Chris Davis' groundout. Reynolds followed with a single to center to clear the bases.
Darren O'Day and Troy Patton each allowed a base runner in the bottom half. However, Pedro Strop worked out of the jam and Jim Johnson tossed a perfect ninth to secure the win for the O's. Johnson is tied with Atlanta's Craig Kimbrel for the major league lead in saves with 28.
"It's been that kind of year," Orioles manager Buck Showalter said. "Our players have a short memory and we've won a lot of games the way we've won the last two days. The way (Johnson) has been the last two nights with one run leads on the road helps. That's a challenge, especially that part of the order."
Davis hit a solo homer and Nick Markakis singled and knocked in a run for Baltimore, which has won its last two since dropping three straight.
Wei-Yin Chen (8-5) earned the win after allowing three runs on six hits over seven frames.
Josh Willingham, Trevor Plouffe and Alexi Casilla each drove in a run for the Twins, who have dropped five of seven since the All-Star break.
Alex Burnett (3-3) was pegged with the loss after allowing two runs in the eighth. He walked Wieters and Betemit before being replaced by Tyler Robertson.
Cole De Vries started for Minnesota and gave up just one run on five hits while striking out five in six innings of work.
"I felt like I got out of one or two situations, I felt good," De Vries said. "I felt in control of the game, and it was one of those days I felt I needed to make a good pitch or a big pitch and I was able to do that. That's what the games all about, execution."
The Twins took a 2-0 lead in the first. Ben Revere singled before moving to second when Joe Mauer walked. Revere then stole third and scored when Willingham ripped a single to left. After a Justin Morneau strike out, Plouffe doubled to the corner in left to plate Mauer.
Davis crushed a solo homer to right in the second to make it 2-1.
Minnesota added a run in the fourth to go up 3-1. Morneau singled and moved to second when Ryan Doumit was hit by a pitch. Brian Dozier then singled to load the bases before Morneau scored on Casilla's sacrifice fly.
Baltimore cut it to 3-2 in the seventh. Davis walked, moved to second on a single before advancing to third on a sacrifice bunt. Markakis then sent a sharp grounder to third but Plouffe's throw home was off target and got away from Mauer as Davis slid across the plate safely.
Baltimore is 18-6 in one-run games this season... Johnson leads the American League in saves. He has never had more than 10 in a season before this year...Plouffe extended his hitting-streak to a career-high 17 games...Minnesota is 7-14 against the AL East this season and 19-30 at home.
- BALTIMORE: 4
Jul 19 4:27 PM
- Mark Reynolds single to center scored Matt Wieters and Wilson Betemit with two outs. Runner on first and Ryan Flaherty due up.
Orioles 4, Twins 3 Top 8, 2 OutsJul 19 3:49 PM
- Nick Markakis grounded into a fielder's choice to third. On the play, Mark Reynolds advances to third and Chris Davis scored on Trevor Plouffe's throwing error with one out. Runners on second and third and J.J. Hardy due up.
Orioles 2, Twins 3 Top 7, 1 OutJul 19 3:21 PM
- Alexi Casilla sacrifice fly to right scored Justin Morneau with two outs. On the play, Ryan Doumit advances to third. Runners on first and third and Denard Span due up.
Orioles 1, Twins 3 Bot 4, 2 OutsJul 19 2:31 PM
- Chris Davis one-out, solo Home Run (15) to right. Mark Reynolds due up.
Orioles 1, Twins 2 Top 2, 1 OutJul 19 1:43 PM
- Trevor Plouffe double to left scored Joe Mauer with two outs. On the play, Josh Willingham advances to third. Runners on second and third and Ryan Doumit due up.
Orioles 0, Twins 2 Bot 1, 2 OutsJul 19 1:37 PM
- Josh Willingham single to left scored Ben Revere with one out. On the play, Joe Mauer advances to second. Runners on first and second and Justin Morneau due up.
Orioles 0, Twins 1 Bot 1, 1 OutJul 19 1:32 PM
- BALTIMORE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 19 1:11 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Perkins slowing down rehab in return from shoulder strain May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22