Price gets 14th win, Rays rout OriolesJul 26, 2012 - 2:32 AM
Desmond Jennings hit the first pitch of the game over the wall in left and Jose Lobaton, who had three hits and four RBI, added a three-run shot in the fifth for his first major league round-tripper.
Roberts, who was acquired Tuesday night from the Arizona Diamondbacks in exchange for minor league second baseman Tyler Bortnick, smacked a two-run blast in the third inning.
Price (14-4) allowed seven hits and a run while fanning 10 without issuing a walk. The lefty moved to 6-0 over his last seven starts and hasn't lost since June 13 against the Mets.
"It starts with the pitching all the time. It's nice when your pitcher is able to keep it going for you," Rays manager Joe Maddon said. "I thought David was really sharp tonight."
The Rays, who won a series for just the second time in their last eight tries, go for a three-game sweep Thursday afternoon.
The Orioles entered Wednesday having surrendered three or fewer runs in seven straight games, but that stat went by the wayside almost immediately as the Rays scored five times in the opening inning off Miguel Gonzalez.
After Jennings went deep, B.J. Upton singled, and with one out advanced to second on a wild pitch. Jeff Keppinger walked prior to Carlos Pena's RBI single to right field as the ball deflected off the arm of second baseman Omar Quintanilla, who was playing in shallow right field.
Gonzalez then got wild, hitting both Roberts and Lobaton to force in a run. A 91 mph fastball grazed the jersey of Lobaton, extending Tampa Bay's lead to 3-0. Elliot Johnson then singled to left field to cap the rally.
"He's one of the best pitchers in the American League. You hate to spot him that," Orioles manager Buck Showalter said of Price.
Hardy's single to right plated Nick Markakis in the bottom of the first, but Price was able to blank the Orioles the rest of the way.
Matt Joyce singled to start the third, and with two down Roberts got a hold of a first-pitch fastball and homered to left-center field.
Gonzalez (2-2) later loaded the bases in the inning before being replaced by Matt Lindstrom, who retired Upton on a fly ball to center.
Lindstrom walked Pena and Roberts to begin the fifth before Lobaton homered to right field for the nine-run advantage.
Gonzalez was shelled for seven hits and seven runs over 2 2/3 frames...Earlier Wednesday, the Rays designated outfielder/designated hitter Hideki Matsui for assignment. In 34 games for the Rays this year, he hit .147 with two homers and seven RBI...Until Price's victory Wednesday, no Ray had ever led the majors outright in wins after the first month of the season. He is 6-2 lifetime against the Orioles. Price's six-decision winning streak is a career- high...The Tampa Bay Rays record for most consecutive wins (in decisions) for a starter is seven, done four times in team history, most recently by Jeff Niemann last year...The Rays bullpen has a current streak of 21 scoreless innings since they allowed seven runs in a 10-6 loss to Cleveland last Wednesday.
- TAMPA BAY: 10
Jul 25 9:59 PM
- Jose Lobaton none-out, three-run Home Run (1) to right scored Carlos Pena and Ryan Roberts. Elliot Johnson due up.
Rays 10, Orioles 1 Top 5, 0 OutsJul 25 8:43 PM
- Ryan Roberts two-out, two-run Home Run (1) to left center scored Matt Joyce. Jose Lobaton due up.
Rays 7, Orioles 1 Top 3, 2 OutsJul 25 7:58 PM
- J.J. Hardy single to right scored Nick Markakis with none out. Runner on first and Adam Jones due up.
Rays 5, Orioles 1 Bot 1, 0 OutsJul 25 7:32 PM
- Elliot Johnson singled to left scored Carlos Pena and Ryan Roberts with two outs. On the play, Jose Lobaton advances to second, and Elliot Johnson was tagged out between first and second to end the inning.
Rays 5, Orioles 0 Mid 1Jul 25 7:29 PM
- Jose Lobaton was hit-by-pitch Jeff Keppinger scored with two outs. Bases loaded and Elliot Johnson due up.
Rays 3, Orioles 0 Top 1, 2 OutsJul 25 7:24 PM
- Carlos Pena single to right scored B.J. Upton with two outs. On the play, Jeff Keppinger advances to second. Runners on first and second and Ryan Roberts due up.
Rays 2, Orioles 0 Top 1, 2 OutsJul 25 7:21 PM
- Desmond Jennings lead-off Home Run (7) to left. B.J. Upton due up.
Rays 1, Orioles 0 Top 1, 0 OutsJul 25 7:07 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 25 7:07 PM
- Rays' Kiermaier expected to miss 8-10 weeks with broken hand May 23
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Kiermaier breaks hand, Rays fall to Tigers 5-4 May 21