Rays edge O's in openerAug 4, 2012 - 5:13 AM
Matt Moore (8-7) earned the win after tossing 5 1/3 scoreless innings. He scattered six hits and struck out six for the Rays, who have won three straight and five of their last six.
Fernando Rodney retired the side in order in the ninth to secure his major league-leading 32nd save of the season.
Adam Jones and Matt Wieters each had a pair of hits for the Orioles, who have lost two in a row.
Tommy Hunter (4-7) allowed two runs on six hits -- including both homers -- and struck out three over 5 2/3 frames to absorb the loss.
"A guy goes out and throws like that, gives up two runs, he keeps you in the game," Orioles third baseman Mark Reynolds said of Hunter's start. "And we've got to do a better job of getting him some runs and let him go out there and throw,"
Upton's homer in the fourth gave the Rays a 1-0 lead. It was the 100th of his career. Upton's younger brother, Arizona Diamondbacks outfielder Justin Upton, also hit his 100th career home run Friday night.
"Mom and dad have to be really proud tonight," Rays manager Joe Maddon said.
Jennings lifted a homer to left in the sixth.
Later in the inning, with runners on first and second, Carlos Pena drove one to deep center, but Adam Jones made a spectacular leaping catch to save at least one run.
Baltimore wasted two opportunities to score in both the first and eighth.
The Orioles loaded the bases in the first, but were unable to score. Nick Markakis and Jones each singled before Chris Davis walked to load the bases. But Moore fanned Mark Reynolds to end the threat
In the eighth, Wieters and Davis each hit one-out singles to put runners on first and second, but Joel Peralta struck out Reynolds and Wilson Betemit to preserve the lead.
The Rays have allowed just one run in their last three games...Moore leads all rookies in wins since June 1 with 7...The Orioles are 14-21 in series opening games...Betemit had a six-game hitting streak snapped...Prior to the game Baltimore sent pitcher Pat Neshek to the Oakland Athletics for cash considerations.
- BALTIMORE: 0
TAMPA BAY: 2
Aug 3 9:56 PM
- Desmond Jennings lead-off Home Run (8) to left. B.J. Upton due up.
Orioles 0, Rays 2 Bot 6, 0 OutsAug 3 8:59 PM
- Matt Joyce grounded out second to first. None on with one out and Ben Zobrist due up.
Orioles 0, Rays 1 Bot 4, 1 OutAug 3 8:19 PM
- BALTIMORE: 0
TAMPA BAY: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 3 7:12 PM
- Rays' Kiermaier expected to miss 8-10 weeks with broken hand May 23
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Kiermaier breaks hand, Rays fall to Tigers 5-4 May 21