Orioles knock around reeling Red SoxAug 15, 2012 - 4:12 AM
Omar Quintanilla hit a solo homer for the Orioles, who have won eight of their last 10 games. Matt Wieters and Chris Davis added an RBI apiece.
Chen (11-7) gave up one run on nine hits while striking out four.
Carl Crawford knocked in the lone run for the Red Sox, who have lost five of seven.
Josh Beckett (5-10) struggled on the mound again, allowing six runs on six hits over 5 1/3 innings. He has just one win over his last 12 starts.
Holding a 2-1 lead, the Orioles exploded for five runs in the sixth to gain some breathing room. J.J. Hardy singled and Adam Jones walked before a wild pitch moved the runners up a base. Matt Wieters followed with an RBI infield single that bounced over Beckett's head. Chris Davis knocked in a run with a single up the middle, chasing Beckett from the game. Mark Melancon came in from the bullpen and gave up a three-run homer to Reynolds, making it a 7-1 contest.
"Hopefully tonight will be kind of a springboard for me," Reynolds said.
Boston had a chance to get back in the game in the seventh by loading the bases with one out. But Darren O'Day struck out Cody Ross and Ryan Lavarnway to end the threat.
J.C. Romero, acquired from the Cleveland Indians on Monday, tossed a scoreless eighth and Matt Lindstrom pitched a perfect ninth to secure the victory.
Quintanilla's homer in the third gave the Orioles a 1-0 lead.
"He's hitting ninth, but leading off that inning. I'm thinking he's taking, so I was trying to lay one in there," Beckett said. "He kind of ambushed me."
But the Red Sox got the run back in the fourth after Ross hit a ground-rule doubled and raced home on Crawford's single.
Reynolds' solo homer in the fifth gave Baltimore a 2-1 edge.
The Orioles are 7-3 against the Red Sox this season ... It was the 15th career multi-homer game for Reynolds ... Beckett has lost his last four starts to the O's and is 7-7 lifetime against them in 20 starts ... Orioles third baseman Manny Machado went 0-for-3 after recording at least one extra-base hit in each of his first four major league games ... The Red Sox activated pitcher Andrew Bailey from the 60-day disabled list on Tuesday ... The Orioles selected the contract of Romero from Triple-A Norfolk, designated pitcher Miguel Socolovich for assignment, recalled pitcher Steve Johnson from Norfolk and placed pitcher Troy Patton on the 15-day disabled list.
- BOSTON: 1
Aug 14 10:01 PM
- Mark Reynolds one-out, three-run Home Run 2 (11) to left scored Matt Wieters and Chris Davis. Manny Machado due up.
Red Sox 1, Orioles 7 Bot 6, 1 OutAug 14 9:05 PM
- Mark Melancon enters the game for the Red Sox.
Red Sox 1, Orioles 4 Bot 6, 1 OutAug 14 9:02 PM
- Matt Wieters singled to short scored J.J. Hardy. On the play, Adam Jones advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Chris Davis due up.
Red Sox 1, Orioles 3 Bot 6, 1 OutAug 14 9:01 PM
- Omar Quintanilla flied out to left. None on with two outs and Nick Markakis due up.
Red Sox 1, Orioles 2 Bot 5, 2 OutsAug 14 8:36 PM
- Carl Crawford singled to center scored Cody Ross. Runner on first with one out and Mike Aviles due up.
Red Sox 1, Orioles 1 Top 4, 1 OutAug 14 8:10 PM
- Omar Quintanilla lead-off Home Run (3) to right. Nick Markakis due up.
Red Sox 0, Orioles 1 Bot 3, 0 OutsAug 14 7:59 PM
- BOSTON: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 14 7:08 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Boston's Bradley extends hitting streak to 27 games May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21