Orioles drop Yankees, inch closer to division leadSep 1, 2012 - 5:47 AM
J.J. Hardy hit a solo homer for the Orioles, who now trail New York by just two games in the AL East. Nick Markakis and Chris Davis added an RBI apiece.
Gonzalez (6-3) gave up four hits while striking out nine and walking one for Baltimore, which has won six of seven.
"I like pitching against a good, aggressive team I guess," Gonzalez said. "Today, my pitches were really good."
Hiroki Kuroda (12-10) allowed four runs on eight hits over 8 1/3 innings for the Yankees. The Japanese right-hander struck out four and did not issue a walk.
"He made a couple mistakes and they made him pay for it," Yankees manager Joe Girardi said.
The Orioles scored three runs in the second inning and never looked back. Adam Jones and Matt Wieters singled to put men on the corners. Davis' sacrifice fly and Reynolds' two-run homer made it a 3-0 contest.
Hardy's homer to left in the sixth made it a four-run game.
New York, which had one hit through five innings, left two men on base in the home sixth. Ichiro Suzuki singled and Jayson Nix walked with no outs. Derek Jeter grounded into a fielder's choice to put men on the corners. But Nick Swisher struck out swinging and Robinson Cano fouled out to end the threat.
Baltimore tacked on two more runs in the ninth. Reynolds hit a solo homer off Derek Lowe and Markakis hit an RBI single.
Curtis Granderson homered off Brian Matusz in the bottom half to account for the final margin.
The Yankees and Orioles have split 12 games this season ... Baltimore signed left-handed pitcher Randy Wolf and added him to the 25-man roster on Friday ... New York went 0-for-4 with runners in scoring position and stranded five ... Markakis had three hits.
- BALTIMORE: 6
NEW YORK: 1
Aug 31 9:47 PM
- Curtis Granderson one-out, solo Home Run (34) to right center. Eric Chavez due up.
Orioles 6, Yankees 1 Bot 9, 1 OutAug 31 9:46 PM
- Nick Markakis singled to center scored Robert Andino. On the play, Manny Machado advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and J.J. Hardy due up.
Orioles 6, Yankees 0 Top 9, 2 OutsAug 31 9:39 PM
- Mark Reynolds two-out, solo Home Run 2 (14) to left. Robert Andino due up.
Orioles 5, Yankees 0 Top 9, 2 OutsAug 31 9:34 PM
- Nate McLouth grounded out second to first. None on with two outs and Adam Jones due up.
Orioles 4, Yankees 0 Top 6, 2 OutsAug 31 8:24 PM
- Omar Quintanilla struck out looking. None on with two outs and Manny Machado due up.
Orioles 3, Yankees 0 Top 2, 2 OutsAug 31 7:31 PM
- Chris Davis sacrifice fly out to left scored Adam Jones. On the play, Matt Wieters advances to second. Runner on second with one out and Mark Reynolds due up.
Orioles 1, Yankees 0 Top 2, 1 OutAug 31 7:27 PM
- BALTIMORE: 0
NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 31 7:09 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21