O's move within 2 games of Yanks in AL EastSep 3, 2012 - 12:03 AM
Mark Reynolds homered twice for the second time in the series, including a go- ahead three-run shot in a four-run sixth inning, and the Orioles downed the New York Yankees 8-3 on Sunday in the rubber match of a three-game set.
The Orioles pulled within two games of first-place New York in the division.
Chris Tillman came in a winner in six of his past eight starts, but left the game after three innings due to right elbow stiffness. He allowed two runs on two hits and two walks.
Randy Wolf (1-0) replaced Tillman and got the win in his Orioles debut. He spun 3 1/3 innings of one-run ball, scattering three hits while walking one for Baltimore, which has won 19 of its last 27 games.
The Orioles won all three road series against the Yankees for the first time since 1976.
"Hopefully it's a sign we're becoming a little better because they've been the measuring stick for a long time," Orioles manager Buck Showalter said.
Filling in for an injured Curtis Granderson in center field, Chris Dickerson hit a two-run homer and scored twice for the Yankees, who have dropped three of their last four games.
"We need to play better baseball," Yankees manager Joe Girardi said. "We're still in control of our own destination."
Phil Hughes (13-12) surrendered just a run through his first five innings but allowed four without recording an out in the sixth. In all, he gave up eight hits and a walk.
Trailing, 3-1, the Orioles surged ahead with a four-run sixth and a three-run eighth.
Nate McLouth walked to start the sixth and came home following back-to-back singles by Adam Jones and Matt Wieters. Reynolds then cracked a towering three-run blast into the second deck in left field for a 5-3 Baltimore advantage.
With the bases loaded in the eighth, Derek Lowe walked Robert Andino to force in a run. Boone Logan replaced Lowe on the hill and served up a two-run single to Nick Markakis, which made it 8-3.
Earlier, the Yankees opened the scoring in the second when Dickerson lined a screaming bullet into the second deck in right field for a two-run shot and a 2-0 New York edge.
Reynolds hit a leadoff homer to left field in the fifth before the Yankees answered in the home half on Nick Swisher's RBI single, which made it 3-1.
The Orioles have 74 wins, their most since they went 74-88 in 2005 ...Reynolds has 16 homers this season ... Baltimore improved to 25-13 in day games.
- BALTIMORE: 8
NEW YORK: 3
Sep 2 4:29 PM
- Cory Wade enters the game for the Yankees with runners on first and second and one out.
Orioles 8, Yankees 3 Top 8, 1 OutSep 2 4:02 PM
- Robert Andino walk scored Matt Wieters on the play. Bases loaded with one out and Nick Markakis due up.
Orioles 6, Yankees 3 Top 8, 1 OutSep 2 3:55 PM
- Mark Reynolds none-out, three-run Home Run 2 (16) to left scored Adam Jones and Matt Wieters. Chris Davis due up.
Orioles 5, Yankees 3 Top 6, 0 OutsSep 2 2:57 PM
- Matt Wieters singled to center scored Nate McLouth. On the play, Adam Jones advances to third. Runners on first and third with none out and Mark Reynolds due up.
Orioles 2, Yankees 3 Top 6, 0 OutsSep 2 2:57 PM
- Nick Swisher singled to left scored Chris Dickerson. Runner on first with two outs and Robinson Cano due up.
Orioles 1, Yankees 3 Bot 5, 2 OutsSep 2 2:43 PM
- Manny Machado popped out to second. Runner on first with one out and Robert Andino due up.
Orioles 1, Yankees 2 Top 5, 1 OutSep 2 2:25 PM
- Chris Dickerson two-out, two-run Home Run (1) to right scored Russell Martin. Jayson Nix due up.
Orioles 0, Yankees 2 Bot 2, 2 OutsSep 2 1:39 PM
- BALTIMORE: 0
NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 2 1:10 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21