O's down Yanks to even AL East raceSep 9, 2012 - 5:30 AM
Hardy and Ford ended with two RBI apiece for the Orioles, who moved back into a tie with the Yankees for first place in the AL East.
Baltimore starter Joe Saunders (2-1) allowed two runs on five hits over 5 1/3 innings to pick up the win. Jim Johnson picked up his 42nd save of the season, but it didn't come easy.
Holding a 5-3 lead, Johnson took over on the mound in the ninth. Ichiro Suzuki and Eric Chavez singled to left before Derek Jeter's bunt single loaded the bases with no outs. Nick Swisher plated a run when he grounded into a fielder's choice. Mark Teixeira, who returned to the lineup after missing 10 games with a strained left calf, hit a grounder to second that turned into a game-ending double play. Teixeira appeared to be safe as he slid into first, leading to frustration for New York.
"Sometimes you wonder if the umpires are just trying to get out of there," Teixeira said. "They don't want you to make a comeback. They want to go home, because those are terrible calls."
The news was not all good for the Orioles. Nick Markakis suffered a broken left thumb when he took a CC Sabathia off his hand. He is expected to be out for about six weeks.
"I knew it was broken. I knew it as soon as he hit it," Markakis said. "I knew how it hit me and I couldn't bend my thumb."
Alex Rodriguez hit a solo homer and knocked in two runs for the Yankees, who have lost seven of their last 10 games. Swisher and Suzuki had an RBI apiece.
CC Sabathia (13-5) gave up five runs on eight hits while striking out five over 6 1/3 innings. He fell to 16-4 lifetime against the O's.
The Yankees got on the board in the first inning after Jeter singled, moved to third on Teixeira's double and scored on Rodriguez's sacrifice fly.
New York tacked on another run in the second to make it a 2-0 game. Russell Martin walked and raced home on Suzuki's one-out double to center.
Reynolds and Ford responded with back-to-back solo homers in the bottom half to tie the game.
Baltimore never looked back after taking the lead in the third. Markakis singled, advanced to second on Robert Andino's groundout and scored on Hardy's double to right.
The Orioles tacked on two more runs in the sixth. Hardy led off with a homer to left. Adam Jones followed with a double and crossed the plate on Ford's single to right.
Rodriguez homered off Pedro Strop in the eighth to make it a 5-3 contest. The Yankees left runners on the corners later in the inning.
The Orioles lead the season series by a 9-8 margin ... Saunders has faced the Yankees six times and is 3-1 ... Reynolds has seven home runs against the Yankees this year ... New York activated pitcher Ivan Nova from the 15-day disabled list on Saturday.
- NEW YORK: 4
Sep 8 10:20 PM
- Nick Swisher grounded into a fielder's choice, short to second, scoring Ichiro Suzuki with one out. On the play, Derek Jeter out at second and Chris Dickerson advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Mark Teixeira due up.
Yankees 4, Orioles 5 Top 9, 1 OutSep 8 10:16 PM
- Alex Rodriguez two-out, solo Home Run (17) to center. Robinson Cano due up.
Yankees 3, Orioles 5 Top 8, 2 OutsSep 8 9:47 PM
- Lew Ford singled to right scoring Adam Jones with one out. Runner on first and Manny Machado due up.
Yankees 2, Orioles 5 Bot 6, 1 OutSep 8 9:12 PM
- J.J. Hardy lead-off Home Run (19) to left. Adam Jones due up.
Yankees 2, Orioles 4 Bot 6, 0 OutsSep 8 9:05 PM
- Adam Jones popped out to second to end the inning.
Yankees 2, Orioles 3 End 3Sep 8 8:10 PM
- Manny Machado grounded out third to first. None on with two outs and Steve Tolleson due up.
Yankees 2, Orioles 2 Bot 2, 2 OutsSep 8 7:50 PM
- Mark Reynolds one-out, solo Home Run (21) to left center. Lew Ford due up.
Yankees 2, Orioles 1 Bot 2, 1 OutSep 8 7:46 PM
- Ichiro Suzuki doubled to center scoring Russell Martin with one out. Runner on second and Jayson Nix due up.
Yankees 2, Orioles 0 Top 2, 1 OutSep 8 7:36 PM
- Alex Rodriguez sacrifice fly out to left scoring Derek Jeter with two outs. Runner on second and Robinson Cano due up.
Yankees 1, Orioles 0 Top 1, 2 OutsSep 8 7:18 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 8 7:07 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21