Granderson drives in five as Yanks hammer O'sSep 10, 2012 - 12:41 AM
Granderson finished 3-for-3 with a homer, while Derek Jeter also homered and knocked in three runs for the Yankees, who will leave Baltimore the same way they entered -- with a one-game lead over the Orioles in the AL East.
New York bounced back nicely after Saturday's controversial finish, when a blown call on a game-ending double-play grounder cost the Yankees the tying run in a 5-4 loss.
Mark Teixeira hit into the double play Saturday and apparently aggravated a calf injury that had sidelined him for 10 games. He sat out Sunday and is headed back to New York for an MRI exam that could keep him out for at least another week.
The New York bullpen threw 5 2/3 innings of one-hit ball in relief of Freddy Garcia, who was tagged for three runs on three hits in 3 1/3 innings. Joba Chamberlain (1-0) got five outs, fanning four with one walk, to pick up his first win of the season.
"It was an outstanding job by our bullpen," said Yankees manager Joe Girardi. "We were able to piece it together and added a lot of tack-on runs."
Zach Britton (5-2) took the loss, allowing five runs on five hits and five walks in just 3 1/3 innings.
"Obiovusly we didn't want to split, we wanted to win (the series)," Britton said. "But we have a lot of games left and we're in a good place."
The Yankees were clinging to a 5-3 lead entering the sixth when Granderson came on as pinch-hitter for Andruw Jones and clubbed the first pitch he saw from Jake Arrieta over the wall in center field for his 35th home run.
Granderson singled home two more in the seventh for an 8-3 cushion and capped a five-run eighth with a two-run double. Jeter had started the eighth-inning scoring with a two-run homer and Russell Martin also singled in a run during the big inning.
Jeter finished 2-for-4 and Alex Rodriguez extended his hitting streak to 13 games while scoring three times. Robinson Cano also had two hits, two walks and three runs scored in the victory.
The Yankees grabbed a 1-0 lead in the first inning on a two-out RBI single by Cano. Jeter led off with an infield single and Nick Swisher drew a walk before Rodriguez bounced into a double play. Cano then came through with a base hit to left field.
New York tacked on four in the fourth. Rodriguez led off with a single and a pair of walks loaded the bases for Steve Pearce, who drew another free pass to force in a run. Jayson Nix blooped a single to center with one out for another run, Ichiro Suzuki beat out a grounder to shortstop for another run-scoring hit and Jeter walked with the bags full to make it 5-0.
"Our guys were patient and patient and patient, and we were able to score some runs," Girardi said about his team's approach in the fourth.
Arrieta took over for Britton and retired the next two batters to keep the O's within shouting distance and Baltimore crept back into it in the bottom of the fourth.
Garcia walked Nate McLouth and hit J.J. Hardy with a pitch before Wilson Betemit chased both runners home with a double to right-center. Matt Wieters added a one-out base hit to score Betemit, chasing Garcia, but Chamberlain fanned both Mark Reynolds and Chris Davis to keep it 5-3.
The Yankees and Orioles split 18 meetings this season. New York went 6-3 in Baltimore ... The Yankees were 7-for-15 with runners in scoring position ... New York continues a 10-game road trip Tuesday in Boston with the start of a three-game series ... Baltimore remains home to face Tampa Bay for three, starting Tuesday.
- NEW YORK: 13
Sep 9 5:04 PM
- Curtis Granderson double to right scored Robinson Cano and Russell Martin. On the play, Raul Ibanez out at home. Runner on second with two out and Jayson Nix due up.
Yankees 13, Orioles 3 Top 8, 2 OutsSep 9 4:39 PM
- Russell Martin single to left scored Alex Rodriguez. On the play, Robinson Cano advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Raul Ibanez due up.
Yankees 11, Orioles 3 Top 8, 1 OutSep 9 4:34 PM
- Derek Jeter none-out, two-run Home Run (15) to center scored Ichiro Suzuki. Nick Swisher due up.
Yankees 10, Orioles 3 Top 8, 0 OutsSep 9 4:25 PM
- Curtis Granderson single to left scored Alex Rodriguez and Robinson Cano. On the play, Russell Martin advances to second. Runners on first and second with two out and Jayson Nix due up.
Yankees 8, Orioles 3 Top 7, 2 OutsSep 9 4:05 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Curtis Granderson lead-off Home Run (35) to center. Jayson Nix due up.
Yankees 6, Orioles 3 Top 6, 0 OutsSep 9 3:35 PM
- Matt Wieters single to right scored Wilson Betemit. Runner on first with one out and Mark Reynolds due up.
Yankees 5, Orioles 3 Bot 4, 1 OutSep 9 3:06 PM
- Wilson Betemit double to center scored Nate McLouth and J.J. Hardy. Runner on second with none out and Adam Jones due up.
Yankees 5, Orioles 2 Bot 4, 0 OutsSep 9 3:06 PM
- Derek Jeter walked Steve Pearce scored on the play. Bases loaded with one out and Nick Swisher due up.
Yankees 5, Orioles 0 Top 4, 1 OutSep 9 2:45 PM
- Ichiro Suzuki single to short scored Russell Martin. On the play, Jayson Nix advances to second and Steve Pearce advances to third. Bases loaded with one out and Derek Jeter due up.
Yankees 4, Orioles 0 Top 4, 1 OutSep 9 2:40 PM
- Jayson Nix single to right scored Robinson Cano. On the play, Steve Pearce advances to second and Russell Martin advances to third. Bases loaded with one out and Ichiro Suzuki due up.
Yankees 3, Orioles 0 Top 4, 1 OutSep 9 2:38 PM
- Steve Pearce walked Alex Rodriguez scored on the play. Bases loaded with none out and Andruw Jones due up.
Yankees 2, Orioles 0 Top 4, 0 OutsSep 9 2:36 PM
- Robinson Cano single to left scored Derek Jeter. Runner on first with two out and Russell Martin due up.
Yankees 1, Orioles 0 Top 1, 2 OutsSep 9 1:49 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 9 1:40 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21