Jays outslug Red SoxApr 11, 2012 - 6:09 AM
J.P. Arencibia added a two-run single and Brett Lawrie collected two hits and drove in another run for the Blue Jays, who dropped the opener on Monday.
Kyle Drabek (1-0) worked 5 1/3 innings, giving up three hits and a run with three walks and four strikeouts.
"It was good to see [Drabek] continue the progression and the path that he established in spring training," said Toronto manager John Farrell.
Adrian Gonzalez drove in all three runs for the Red Sox, who have lost four of five to open the season.
Daniel Bard's first major-league start (0-1) didn't go as planned. He lasted five-plus frames, charged with eight hits and five runs despite fanning six.
Toronto turned a two-run lead into a five-run edge in the sixth.
Encarnacion worked a leadoff walk, then stole second. Lawrie singled to short, moving Encarnacion up, then after Justin Thomas came on for Bard, also swiped second. Eric Thames walked to load the bases then Arencibia's single brought in two and Colby Rasmus lifted a sacrifice fly to left to make it 6-1.
Encarnacion's seventh-inning blast pushed the lead to six, but the Sox rallied against Casey Janssen in the ninth, pulling within 7-3 on a two-out, two-run ground-rule double with the bases loaded. David Ortiz fanned looking to end the game.
The Jays scratched out a run in the first as Yunel Escobar led off with a single, Adam Lind doubled with two down then Encarnacion's ball to deep short scored Escobar.
It was 3-0 in the third on an one-out RBI single from Lind and a two-out run- scoring hit from Lawrie.
Boston hit the scoreboard in the sixth on a sac fly from Gonzalez, but after Ortiz walked and Drabek gave way to Jason Frasor, Kevin Youkilis hit into an inning-ending 6-4-3 double play.
"[Frasor] threw a splitter that kind of cut and went away," Youkilis said. "He made a good pitch. Seems like every time I face that guy he makes some good pitches."
Bard made 192 straight appearances from the bullpen prior to Tuesday, the most in Red Sox history for any pitcher before making his initial start...Dustin Pedroia had three hits and Youkilis ended up with two for Boston...Escobar hit safely twice and scored twice...Toronto finished 5-for-10 with runners in scoring position.
- BOSTON: 3
Apr 10 10:28 PM
- Adrian Gonzalez ground-rule double to left scored Nick Punto and Jacoby Ellsbury. On the play, Dustin Pedroia advances to third. Runners on second and third with two outs and David Ortiz due up.
Red Sox 3, Blue Jays 7 Top 9, 2 OutsApr 10 10:26 PM
- Edwin Encarnacion two-out, solo Home Run (1) to left. Brett Lawrie due up.
Red Sox 1, Blue Jays 7 Bot 7, 2 OutsApr 10 9:47 PM
- Colby Rasmus sacrifice fly to left scored Eric Thames. Runner on first with one out and Yunel Escobar due up.
Red Sox 1, Blue Jays 6 Bot 6, 1 OutApr 10 9:18 PM
- J.P. Arencibia single to center scored Edwin Encarnacion and Brett Lawrie. On the play, Eric Thames advances to third. Runners on first and third with none out and Colby Rasmus due up.
Red Sox 1, Blue Jays 5 Bot 6, 0 OutsApr 10 9:17 PM
- Edwin Encarnacion stole second. Runner on second with none out and Brett Lawrie at the plate.
Red Sox 1, Blue Jays 3 Bot 6, 0 OutsApr 10 9:08 PM
- Brett Lawrie single to right scored Kelly Johnson. On the play, Adam Lind advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Eric Thames due up.
Red Sox 0, Blue Jays 3 Bot 3, 2 OutsApr 10 8:11 PM
- Adam Lind single to center scored Yunel Escobar. On the play, Kelly Johnson advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Edwin Encarnacion due up.
Red Sox 0, Blue Jays 2 Bot 3, 1 OutApr 10 8:04 PM
- Edwin Encarnacion infield single to short scored Yunel Escobar. On the play, Adam Lind advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Brett Lawrie due up.
Red Sox 0, Blue Jays 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsApr 10 7:24 PM
- BOSTON: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 10 7:09 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Boston's Bradley extends hitting streak to 27 games May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21