Red Sox thump RaysApr 14, 2012 - 11:52 PM
Cody Ross also hit a two-run home run and finished with four RBI, Jarrod Saltalamacchia hit a two-run homer while Mike Aviles and Dustin Pedroia added solo shots for the Red Sox, who have taken the first two games of this set. Clay Buchholz (1-0) gave up five runs on six hits with three walks and five strikeouts over seven innings of work.
Before the game, the Red Sox placed outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury on the 15-day disabled list with a shoulder injury which could possibly sideline him anywhere from six to eight weeks.
Luke Scott hit a three-run home run and drove in four for the Rays, who have dropped three straight. Jeremy Hellickson went five innings in the start and gave up five runs on seven hits. Burke Badenhop (0-1) took the loss for giving up a run in 1 1/3 innings.
Tampa struck early to take the lead. Desmond Jennings led off with a walk and came home as Carlos Pena followed with a double. The next two batters then recorded outs, but Ben Zobrist walked to keep the frame alive. Scott then smacked a pitch over the wall in right for a 4-0 lead.
Boston got on the board in the second as Ryan Sweeney drew a two-out walk and came home when Saltalamacchia followed with a homer to center to make it a 4-2 contest.
Tampa, though, got it back in the third as Matt Joyce walked and later scored off a double from Scott.
Pedroia's one-out, solo shot to left in the third made it a 5-3 contest and Ortiz tied the game in the fifth when he drilled a 3-2 pitch over the wall in center with Kevin Youkilis on first base.
The Red Sox took their first lead of the game in the seventh and they did it right off the bat as Aviles led off the frame with a homer just over the Green Monster. With J.P. Howell on the mound, Adrian Gonzalez doubled and Youkilis followed with a walk. A single from Ortiz loaded the bases and Ross brought home two for an 8-5 lead with a double off the Monster.
Boston turned the game into a rout in the eighth inning as a bases-clearing double from Ortiz was followed by a home run from Ross for a 13-5 advantage.
Tampa took 12 of the 18 games against Boston last season...Boston had 15 hits in the game...Buchholz is 5-2 over nine games against the Rays...Felix Doubront is on the mound for Boston on Sunday while Matt Moore will toe the rubber for Tampa.
- TAMPA BAY: 5
Apr 14 7:24 PM
- Cody Ross two-out, two-run Home Run (1) to left scored David Ortiz. Ryan Sweeney due up.
Rays 5, Red Sox 13 Bot 8, 2 OutsApr 14 7:14 PM
- David Ortiz double to left scored Mike Aviles, Dustin Pedroia and Kevin Youkilis. Runner on second with two outs and Cody Ross due up.
Rays 5, Red Sox 11 Bot 8, 2 OutsApr 14 7:13 PM
- Cody Ross double to left scored Adrian Gonzalez and Kevin Youkilis. On the play, David Ortiz advances to third. Runners on second and third with one out and Ryan Sweeney due up.
Rays 5, Red Sox 8 Bot 7, 1 OutApr 14 6:43 PM
- Dustin Pedroia grounded out short to first. None on with one out and Adrian Gonzalez due up.
Rays 5, Red Sox 6 Bot 7, 1 OutApr 14 6:35 PM
- David Ortiz two-out, two-run Home Run (1) to right center scored Kevin Youkilis. Cody Ross due up.
Rays 5, Red Sox 5 Bot 5, 2 OutsApr 14 6:07 PM
- Dustin Pedroia one-out, solo Home Run (2) to left. Adrian Gonzalez due up.
Rays 5, Red Sox 3 Bot 3, 1 OutApr 14 5:14 PM
- Luke Scott doubled to center scored Matt Joyce. Runner on second with two outs and Jeff Keppinger due up.
Rays 5, Red Sox 2 Top 3, 2 OutsApr 14 5:09 PM
- Jarrod Saltalamacchia two-out, two-run Home Run (1) to center scored Ryan Sweeney. Darnell McDonald due up.
Rays 4, Red Sox 2 Bot 2, 2 OutsApr 14 4:57 PM
- Luke Scott two-out, three-run Home Run (1) to right scored Carlos Pena and Ben Zobrist. Jeff Keppinger due up.
Rays 4, Red Sox 0 Top 1, 2 OutsApr 14 4:21 PM
- Carlos Pena double to right scored Desmond Jennings. Runner on second with none out and Evan Longoria due up.
Rays 1, Red Sox 0 Top 1, 0 OutsApr 14 4:10 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 14 4:05 PM
- Rays' Kiermaier expected to miss 8-10 weeks with broken hand May 23
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Boston's Bradley extends hitting streak to 27 games May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21
- Kiermaier breaks hand, Rays fall to Tigers 5-4 May 21
- Rays-Tigers Preview May 21